DIY Silicone Heat Blanket

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I juts had an idea,. lay the glass on wood and drive the nails, run some wires and then tape it down and remove the nails. You could get he connections allot closer without them touching and in tension.
I would be combining all the techniques in this thread for blanket construction in one.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

MontuckyMadman wrote:I learned some cool new stuff, the blanket draws 11.9 amps at load on the controller, it cycles but tops at 11.9.
[...]
I don't know the wattage but it seemed sufficient to get it hot in moderate time when we ran it.
that's the easiest calculation of them all ;)
wattage = volts x amps = 120v x 11.9a = 1428watts

the thing with the nails you describe is exactly what we're going to do for our second blanket ;)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

well yeah, I know what it should be but what does the blanket actually deliver is another maybe right?
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

you've already measured what it delivers by measuring the amps ;)
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

second blanket is curing atm.
this time i used nails to lay out the resistance wire and then taped it down with the usual drywall tape. worked like a charm! :D all wires are spaced evenly. even after pulling out the nails nothing slipped under the tape.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

chrismp wrote:second blanket is curing atm.
this time i used nails to lay out the resistance wire and then taped it down with the usual drywall tape. worked like a charm! :D all wires are spaced evenly. even after pulling out the nails nothing slipped under the tape.
Pics?
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

i only took a couple of pics of the wire around the nails...i will upload them together with pics of the finished blanket soon.

btw, i think you once posted that you weren't going to use lustre terminals to connect the lead wires with the resistance wires...i talked to my electrician friend about that and he said to get a good connection you either need soldering or a force to push the wires together. since it's hard to solder resistance wire, he recommended using terminals.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

hmm. oh well.
I'm not putting those lumpy things in there. I think the pressing in the press will stick them together well enough. I wound them up pretty good around the lead. Only time will tell if this holds up.
Its still a homemade gig so it won't be left alone and maybe someday we will get some from mei. I learned allot about electricity and resistance circuits and some math to boot. Thanks again. This forum is awesome.
Still haven't made a ski with them so still a bit unsure.
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

MontuckyMadman wrote:hmm. oh well.
I'm not putting those lumpy things in there. I think the pressing in the press will stick them together well enough. I wound them up pretty good around the lead. Only time will tell if this holds up.
Its still a homemade gig so it won't be left alone and maybe someday we will get some from mei. I learned allot about electricity and resistance circuits and some math to boot. Thanks again. This forum is awesome.
Still haven't made a ski with them so still a bit unsure.

Wrap the wires tight and use a piece of shrink tube to hold them in place?

When you have a chance, can you please send me a list of your silicone suppliers? If you have any liquid samples left (I think you had some liquids) I might be able to buy them from you as well.

Working on a little project @ work. BTW, I work in the carbon fiber industry now ;)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Diversified silicon for sheet socal rosencranse ave
Eager polymers in chicago carries the silicones inc P45 high temp silicone rubber and lots of other stuff.

Most of these places charge for samples. I just gambled. Its still more cost than it should be. The sheet is 60 so with wire and glass and cheaper rtv maybe done for for 120?

its very posible any rtv will work and i went overkill. I am also using high temp lead wire.

Das it man.

I have used smooth on in the past. In reality i did not investigate workable viscosities just found one that got real high markes with good mechanics.

I looked ar the heatshrink. But the conections are a T. Dunno.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

here you go:

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Pressed a double load with my new blankets last night. Just a repress of some old skis to try and change the rise a bit. I relize thats not good for the epoxy its cool just a test. The blankets are awesome. Rips to temp no prob. Im pretty happy with myself.

The last blanket we pressed and it came out very flat. Few wrinkles near the lead wires from air bubbles i assume. Very happy.
thanks yall
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

After read all this posts and after what happen to my shop ( same as ENDRE) and the need to buy a new heta blankets, i decided to build my heat blankets---

ill post my progress.

You all are amazing
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

hey Montucky

did the tape result good bonding with the fiberglass and silicone???

i am araid the glue of the tape provoques delam... tomorow ill start wiring stuff...
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

If you look at my picks I didnt go full length tape like chris. Just small chunks.
Seemed fine. Bonded as well as everything else.
You can peel it apart if you try but they dont see that kind of stress.