DIY Silicone Heat Blanket

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

i try to place the tape to the fiberglass but its very dificult to hold the wire straight...
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

if you use nails like shown in my last photos it's easy to get the wires straight ;)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

hugocacola wrote:i try to place the tape to the fiberglass but its very dificult to hold the wire straight...
Its a 2 person job or use the nails.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

And chrismp

for sure that the tape holds together when fully embebed with silicone???

how long are you using your heat blanket, it holds the pressure variations among temperature variations, doesent delam in the midle for ej. get some bubles in the midle etc...

Best regards
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

heat blanket almost done.

i connected the wires etc. it consume 12 at 230v same as 12A is a quit alot, it gets hot to quick, and ive tried a cheaper silicone White one because i dont nedd to much temp to the top, so he said the white silicone hangs something like 120º and i nedd 90ºC so it could be good, if not ill do a new one with the red one to the top...

my concern it is to avoid a PID controller, to do that i need to cut the power ( voltage) and iamm trying to find the best solution, and i thought about the oil heater (home ones) they have a good potenciometer to regulate the voltage...

any thoughts???

best regards
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

E-mail this guys - very prompt service

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BDM-Electronics?_rdc=1
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

here we go once again: DON'T TRY TO REGULATE THE VOLTAGE...way too expensive!
the link rich posted is good...they have a couple of dimmers that allow you to regulate the wattage. this is the one i'm using: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M028N-LEISTUNGSRE ... 4aa5d96e71

btw, with those homemade blankets it's always a good idea to use a dimmer to make sure they don't go up in flames.

this one works up to 15A, but needs cooling like the kemo: http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/1831 ... Detail=005
sir.orange

Post by sir.orange »

Imade 2 mats the way described in here: wire kept in place with nails and glass tape, silicone etc.

I did a "dry run" when the wires where ready attached to one glass mat with out any silicone rubber yet. i regulated the current with an output controller and at a certain spot the glue of the glass tape started to burn in an area of 30cm. i think it could have only been the glue, everything else is glass or wire. now i m afraid to set my mould on fire like endre showed us couple of posts ago.

did anyone had this problem too? i can t tell you what electric power there was, as i was on teh fly to extinguish the fire...but it was more power than i will use for heating skis.

anyway,i m flustered as this glue seems to be the weak point in the mats..
sir.orange

Post by sir.orange »

..and i found a method to solder resistance wire. i just pressed cable end sleeves around the wire so it was easy to solder them. it holds good without sliding or any problems so far.

chrismp

Post by chrismp »

that's genius!! definitely looking good! one more good example that it's not that hard to build a nice heat blanket :)
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

This thread has inspired me. And I believe I may have to attempt it. It's funny how when I started researching things a year and a half ago I thought I'd go super cheap. Fabric press with no heat. I've had so much fun figuring out ways to build crap in my garage that I'm actually putting a lot more time and money into this hobby than I thought I would. Now I guess, I'll add some heat blankets to the equation.

You guys have done some good work. Thanks for sharing.
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

where to buy the wire and what type of wire is it
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

WhitePine wrote:This thread has inspired me. And I believe I may have to attempt it. It's funny how when I started researching things a year and a half ago I thought I'd go super cheap. Fabric press with no heat. I've had so much fun figuring out ways to build crap in my garage that I'm actually putting a lot more time and money into this hobby than I thought I would. Now I guess, I'll add some heat blankets to the equation.

You guys have done some good work. Thanks for sharing.
I'm going through about same process :) same wood/fabric press with no heat at first ...and everything else you said about the same lol

I'm not a electrician and little hesitant to tackle this project. Afraid to burn down my garage. Actually blankets itself shouldn't be difficult to make but PID controller and stuff I'm not sure.
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

sorry found the type of wire nichrome.. right and what gauge should i get for the right resistance
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »