Microlam

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gketcham

Microlam

Post by gketcham »

Has anyone tried using Microlam for a ski press. I know some people who are making bow presses out of it and not having problems. They are pressing at 60- 80 psi.

Thanks
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

You might want to speak to SD
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Microlams will work but you still need to re-enforce it w/ steel. Believe it or not they will still bend. I used 3/4 OSB cut to 8in x 96in. Then bolted them together to make a 16in wide beam. It still flexed at 25psi. I re-enforced it with a steel in the center and that fixed the problem. I can now press at 50psi w/ no deflection.

I have plenty of pics of my press in the forum. Using microlams is a better alternative to what I used. Microlams are already cut to size, probably stronger than what I used. Go for it. Just make sure it's re-enforced so it doesn't blow apart.
gketcham

Post by gketcham »

I was writing plans for 7 2x8" Micro lam boards bolted together. I figure that would make it a solid block of wood, but I can't figure out a good way to attach to the vertical support micro lam. Does that make sense? Any advice would be great help. I also suck at CAD and have no money so it's hard to draw out my plan on here.

||||||||

||||||||

Stack my top layer and bottom layer of microlam like this to create a super block, any may not even need steel support.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

If you're going to use V-Lam as your vertical support you'll have to bolt it on. Buy steel threaded rod 1/2in or 5/8in diameter. They come in 4 and 6 foot lengths at TSC (Tractor Supply Co.) or Home Depot, etc. Cut the rod to length, buy large washers and nuts for the threaded rod. Also buy a long auger drill bit so you can drill out the holes in 1 shot, it's worth the money. You'll probably need a center support. Take a look at my press to give you an idea. At the end of the thread you'll see how I supported the center.

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... hlight=osb

When you test your press go in small increments, start at 20psi and increase at 5psi at a time. Measure the flex in the middle as you go.
gketcham

Post by gketcham »

Thanks SD, I overlooked any idea like that. Did you have to put any steel across the press lengthwise to reduce deflection?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Well, it seemed the best way to contain the beams. Remember there is a tremendous amount of force being applied. I would support the middle with a metal going across. You could use 4 pieces of angle iron bolted to the top and bottom beams for center support. Use 5/8 threaded rod in the middle See lame drawing below for an idea:

gketcham

Post by gketcham »

That also is a very great idea. Looks like all I need to do now is get some money for materials!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

money and time, it always seem to be one or the other, sometimes both.