Top Sheet Dimpling

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

cuddy

Top Sheet Dimpling

Post by cuddy »

Has anyone experienced this on their skis? Just lately I am getting dimples on the topsheet. Very isolated and are in the same place so I am guessing it might be my heat blanket. I cook my skis at 165 degrees and nothing really special.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Matt
www.meierskis.com
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Do you have a layer of sheet metal on top of the ski, before the heat blanket?

Is it single dimples, or a consistent pattern?

You are likely just getting contaminants between you top sheet and your top metal. Even a tiny piece of dirt, fiberglass, drill shavings, or even hair, will leave a really ugly dimple (I've yet to make a ski that didn't have at least a few). I give my top sheet and sheet metal a good blast of compressed air before I put it all in the press, but I still don't get it all.

That's probably what you're getting.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

For sure. ^
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

yep, contaminant.

The key is to use a static cloth (cotton works well) to wipe the top sheet off and the top of your aluminum sheet (assuming you put an aluminum sheet on top of the laminate before putting in to the press). Also, it helps to have a light angled at the top so that you can see any contaminants. The smallest piece of dust will leave a dimple. YES THAT CRAP THAT ******* LEAVES UNDER THE TAPE WHEN HE TAPES HIS SUBBED TOP SHEETS will leave impressions.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

doughboyshredder wrote:yep, contaminant.

YES THAT CRAP THAT ******* LEAVES UNDER THE TAPE WHEN HE TAPES HIS SUBBED TOP SHEETS will leave impressions.

Monson?
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

Yea I've done everything right and still gotten dimples. And no telling what's under the tape on my topsheets that were taped by ******. The bubbles on the masking tape usually press out, but any spec of dust trapped between tape and topsheet = dimple.

A chunk of mold release can do this as well... dont over mold release your sheets if you do, buff them off.
Doug
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

No, the other guy.

Honestly if you don't want any dimples tape your sheets yourself. These guys don't care enough to make sure there aren't any contaminants in there.
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

If you use Heat blankets + cat track+metasl sheet above your board , you should consider water when you spray your topsheet with a air compressor...