Chewgash

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

doughboyshredder

Chewgash

Post by doughboyshredder »

http://espn.go.com/action/snowboarding/ ... ufacturing
Sadly, unless you are TRice or one of the lucky few people at Mervin you'd have better luck linking up with Mark Carter for a Timberlake concert than getting your hands on one of these boards. Maybe you should try making one yourself?
uhhhmmm, O.K.

Thinking that maybe this will re-motivate me.

Obviously it won't do sh it on groomers, and it would probably be a horrible splitboard, but for sled laps and first run mayhem.......
doughboyshredder

I'm thinking maybe a short section of flat or sidecut right at each binding may help make it at least somewhat manageable on groomers.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Mostly symetrical reverse reverse like the dps 138 of snowboarding.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
doughboyshredder

Banana hammock is pretty much a dps of snowboarding.

This thing is a whole new monster.
It's pretty much a sized down replica of a surfboard.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

yeah, but it's not like a sized down replica of a surfboard is a new idea in snowboarding...thats pretty much how it all started :P
doughboyshredder

ehhh, not really.

The first snowboards looked nothing like surfboards.

They really all looked like evolutions of the snurfer, besides maybe the winterstick.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

ok, maybe not the very first ones, but there were definitely some surfboard inspired designs during the first days of snowboarding. http://www.snowboardcanada.com/blogs/po ... brief-hist
doughboyshredder

Only board I see as being surf inspired is the winterstick. All of the others look like variations of the snurfer.

That Damian kick was one of my favorite boards ever. And yes, I did ride it in hard boots. I had the same koflach's that Damian wore. I even wore an OP ski suit. LOL

That GNU Anti gravity was the first board I ever rode. My best friend had that sims blade. Another friend had that Barfoot.

I worked at one of the first snowboard shops in WA state in 1988.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

all the swallowtails you see on there are definitely not skate inspired. this photo album in the link looks like a collection of retro fish boards and alaias for snow.

thats a surfboard.
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

Lat season i saw (not in the flesh) some iterations of the Chewgash that had a hole cut-out of the tail to increase tail drop. It looked beautiful, though I did think it might cause some drag.

This would be a nightmare splitboard to tour on, but with a few design tweaks it might could be manageable.....

Love how short it is!
24Dave

Post by 24Dave »

There was a chapter when some surf shapers were making foam core glassed elliptical snowboards for pow, I think Bill Stewart did, but images of these boards are from way before the snowboard press and intraweb. Who cares who was first with things, its cool to see ideas picked up again.
Xenia

Post by Xenia »

The monoski was also a surf inspired design
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

OH NO! I thought I was almost done board building for the season! That chewgash has some serious rocker. Somebody stop me.
strangesnowboarding

Post by strangesnowboarding »

we are stoked to be trying out some unique designs this year (pow and urban revolution) this shortboard surf design is def on my list, probably a noboard too.....
falls

Post by falls »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM4lXJk5W5E
the pow surfing chronicles!
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....