Edge material & VDS rubber

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

hose-man

Edge material & VDS rubber

Post by hose-man »

Are all you Kam's still purchasing edge metal from Snowboardmaterials.com? Is there another source? I have not yet called SBM.com but I've read ski companie's brag sheets that tout thicker harder "rockwell steel" edges. Can better edge materail be had than is available through SBM.com?

I see the earlier post re: VDS referring to SBM.com. Is that still the best source? I dug through the McMaster's site & don't have the product knowlege to find the correct item on their site. Help?

Thx -Jed
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

Hey Hose-man,

Kelvin ordered a bundle of edge material from CDW a while ago and we're still using it. They have the same dimensions as the Snowboardmaterials.com one but have a coating to prevent rust. Big Kam and Kelvin work in the PNW where rusty edges are a problem so it really helps out.

As for the larger edges, pretty much any edge supplier will make whatever you want within reasonable dimensions. The only problem is that they require a minimum amount due to the custom operation. I think CDW's minumum was about 120 edges that were 84" long (Kelvin?).

I think VDS is just a fancy term that manufacturers for mean rubber strips. If you go www.mcmaster.com just enter "rubber" into the search engine and you'll see a page with a "strips" link. Just click on that and select from the desired specs: width, length, thickness. You can also order in "sheets" form which might be a good size to make damping enhanced tipspacers (what Karhu/Line uses in their skis).
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

I don't remember the exact minimum order for custom edges, but it was alot. Something like 500 lbs. Unless you plan on making about 500 skis, then it is not really worth it to get custom edges. The following places will take a CAD file and make edges for you. I don't know their min order, but it is probably alot.

http://www.profiles-inc.com/xxTooling.html
http://www.metalldeutsch.com/index.htm
http://www.waelzholz-huber.at/html/frame2.html

I'm trying to find more info on the VDS rubber. I think it is some sort of urethane rubber and it may be treated for better bonding.

kelvin
melvs

Post by melvs »

Profiles is only 2.5 hours from my house.... I wonder if I could see what they could do to help me out some. I'll submit a 'contact' form to them!!
-Pat

Post by Guest »

I talked to lindsey at SBM.com and I've decided just to purchase the edges from him. He importes them from one of the euro ski makers. I will get the 84" sandblasted ones.
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

above "Guest" is me.
rasi

Post by rasi »

As there is lots of different rubber sorts: polyurethane rubber, styrol butadien rubber, latex, silicone rubber,... what's the best to use for dampening my ride and which material bonds best with epoxy? :oops:
Slarver

Post by Slarver »

I am looking for more info on edge manufacturing or ordering. I was wondering who CDW was?
endre

Post by endre »

Chicagoskier11

ground cover

Post by Chicagoskier11 »

So what about ground cover in place of VDS? It has been a while since i have used it but doesn't it have a rubber quality to it? There is also the rubber that lines landscape ponds, but that mights but about twice as thick as the stuff that comes from SBM and im not sure where to get it yet.
Chicagoskier11

Post by Chicagoskier11 »

yeah definently not