Neversummer craftsmanship

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Brazen

Post by Brazen »

yep. looks like someone didn't bother lifting the z axis before they slid across.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Hahaha brazen! Only someone who runs a cnc can appreciate your comment. I was making something for my daughter today and had the plywood pop up on one corner and the damn z axis wasn't high enough. Huge gouge along the entire project

I think you are right mm.
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Hahaha brazen! Only someone who runs a cnc can appreciate your comment. I was making something for my daughter today and had the plywood pop up on one corner and the damn z axis wasn't high enough. Huge gouge along the entire project

I think you are right mm.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Brazen wrote:Awesome pics! I feel great now :D
Me too!! I have similar clamps, and the scrap pieces of wood look familiar!! :)

Great photo, COsurfer! Thanks for sharing.

So, I suspect they have a horizontal self-feeding band saw to cut cores into thinner pieces? The wood looks like maple, and finger jointed. I do the same, finger joint odd pieces and mixing wood together for tailoring the stiffness, damping, etc.
Brazen wrote:yep. looks like someone didn't bother lifting the z axis before they slid across.
Brazen -- you might be right, but it looks like there are 4 identical marks??
teleman36

Post by teleman36 »

The black layer between sidewall and core is VDS. This was shown in some Icelantic video or print. I have been using this method for a year now with improved bonding results and has elliminanted any failure during profiling. I can not tell if it affects dampness or not.
teleman36

Post by teleman36 »

The black layer between sidewall and core is VDS. This was shown in some Icelantic video or print. I have been using this method for a year now with improved bonding results and has elliminanted any failure during profiling. I can not tell if it affects dampness or not.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

is it a solid sheet of vds or just along the perimeter? I have an evo r in the shop, the day it fails ill be cutting it in half
falls

Post by falls »

The op was asking about the black line in the tip between the sidewall/tipspacer and the top glass layer. It will be black vds laid over the tip spacer and sidewalls.
Never summer love using heaps of vds.
COsurfers picture shows how they shape a thick core block with a sidecut then glue on sidewall material with vds in between the core block and plastic. They then use a horizontal bandsaw to cut core blanks which end up with sidewalls attached and vds between core and sidewall.
It's interesting that tele has been doing this and found planing cores with sidewall attached much easier. The vds must take up some of the strain at the sidewall/core joint while planing. Sounds good!
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
prospectsnow

Post by prospectsnow »

I figure a full wrap of vds would well worth the material.
I especially think that has a clean look.

From what I've seen, a planer is too rough to keep that sidewall bonded. Maybe planing with a sander rather than the blade is the key? Although if they cnc, then why have a sander like what is shown in the vid?

Maybe they have those sidewalls pop off fairly often and just glue them back on if they do.

Go Packers
Go Badgers
Go Brewers
Go Snow
We have snowboard and kiteboard build kits!
https://prtahoe.com/collections/build-kits
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I thought about it and I can't imagine why anyone would score the wood on a core...so I figure maybe they're using a 12 gang forstner bit attachment on a drill press and one was hanging a little low? Who knows...that's just odd to me. Full vds adds a LOT of weight.

And Adam haha yeah, we'll have to exchange horror stories sometime :D. Sorry about your project :(
Last edited by Brazen on Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

the black line is Carbon Fiber

The marks on the core are exactly where they add additional carbon fiber reinforcements. Surprising that they would be indexing the carbon fiber strips, but I guess it's not much more work when you have a cnc.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

It weakens the core, scoring it like that. Maybe that's CF...doubt it. My bet is they're hedging their bets on quick production methodology with VDS to improve the bond.
Last edited by Brazen on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

doughboyshredder wrote:the black line is Carbon Fiber
really? you mean the black line that goes all the way around the board right above the sidewall?
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Brazen wrote:It weakens the core, scoring it like that. Maybe that's CF...doubt it. My bet is they're hedging their bets on quick production methodology with VDS to improve the bond.
I would think that it weakens the core also. But if you look at their limited tech page those marks directly correspond with their carbon fiber placement.

I thought it was cf, because that was what it was on my older NS. It definitely could be vds, but I would be surprised that it would be that thick of a line. VDS is pretty thin, and NS presses at something like 100psi, so I wouldn't expect it to be that noticeable. Also, if it was VDS we would see the same line on the bottom of the sidewall. According to their site, they use 3 layers of vds, above the edges and between the glass and the core. There is definitely vds above the sidewall. I just don't think that's what the black line is. Most likely the black line is a result of their "carbonium" top sheet.

Yes chrismp, the black line that goes all the way around the board right above the sidewall.

http://neversummer.com/snow/features/
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

True about the line height...it's BARELY noticeable using the thickness I've been getting from CDW, maybe they're using a heavier vulcanized rubber.

Carbonium?!? WTF hahaha

noun
a transient, positively charged organic ion, as HC, R, that has one less electron than the corresponding free radical

Origin: carb(o)- + (amm)onium

I got your carbonium right here hehehe

So DBS, do you think they're using carbon fiber center of those marks or outer, I.E. tip and tail?