Bladder Problems

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

WhitePine

Bladder Problems

Post by WhitePine »

Pull-ups for Men just aren't working for me.

So I've got my pneumatics all set up. I did a pressure test to 20 psi first just to test things out.

I was happy to see all of my connections are solid (Thanks Head Monkey). Everything worked great, the problem is actually in the hose itself.

There are two small bulges on either side of the hose. Both are opposite each other and I can feel air streaming out. It would take a while for a significant pressure drop to occur but I'm concerned about a blowout or something dramatic happening.

I took the pressure up to about 40 psi just to see what would happen (while standing safely behind my garage wall). It didn't have any trouble holding the pressure for the 5 minutes I kept it there and the bulges only got slightly larger. I plan on pressing around 45 psi with a Cordura press.

So my question is this, if you were in my situation, would you go ahead and press ski under these conditions or would you source some new hose? This means potentially buying new angle iron, bolts (assuming I can't find the same diameter firehose) and new firehose.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

This guy I know was standing in front of a press at Mervin when one of the bladders exploded. Says it was one of the scariest things that's ever happened to him. Almost had a heart attack.

I would try to get new hose personally.
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

New hose.
falls

Post by falls »

new hose
I don't get why everyone spends all this money on press etc and then doesn't spend the $100 on new proper spec firehose for the press.
I know $100 is $100, but I think it's worth it. You want safe hose.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
vinman

Post by vinman »

Check out Capital Rubber. They sell high pressure discharge hose unto 8 inches wide. Good prices http://www.capitalrubbercorp.com/7801R.html
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

falls wrote:new hose
I don't get why everyone spends all this money on press etc and then doesn't spend the $100 on new proper spec firehose for the press.
I know $100 is $100, but I think it's worth it. You want safe hose.
I knew that was the answer but for some reason I had a glimmer of hope. Oh well. What's another delay right? I would be glad to pay for $100 for a hose but I already paid $60. And looking at the skibuilders store $13/foot would put me well over $200 without shipping.

What type of hose do most of you guys use? PVC hose? Rubber? I'm curious because I have read some horror stories about the PVC hose from some threads on here. The one I have setup already is some sort of fabric weave sandwiched on either side by rubber.

If any of you have links to some stores I'd appreciate the help. There are so many types of discharge hoses out there it can be kind of overwhelming. And most don't specify whether they are lay flat or not. I've got a local store www.hoseandrubber.com so I can probably get it here in Salt Lake if I just knew the right hose lingo.

Vinman - I checked out your link. I know you haven't been pressing for very long but do you feel your PVC hose is pretty solid? Abrasion resistant? I think I'm off to peruse your journal again.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I have no issues with that type of hose as a bladder. It is definitely rated for well above the psi I use. Ghd heat could be an issue for folks with metal cat tracks but since mine is wood it doesn't conduct heat up to the bladder. As far as abrasion, once it is loaded in the press there is nothing to come into contact with it plus that stuff is like 3-4 mm thick and pretty hard with some sort of fiber running through it.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

DO AT YOUR OWN RISK - I had to move the air inlet on my hose awhile back. I patched the hole inside and out with left over hose that I had. I did sample tests to see how well the hose would seal with various glues. I ended up using a CA glue and sealed the edges with Goop, an automotive glue. The patch was about 4"x4" size for a 3/4" hole. I wouldn't try patching with any material that's thinner than the hose you already have. It's holding fine so far.
powderho

Post by powderho »

I think I mentioned this to you before in another thread......try L.N. Curtis and Sons in Salt Lake. They have sold hose to now 4 skibuilders that I know of. Here's their link: http://www.lncurtis.com/ Tell them you are building a bladder press for skis. They will know what you are talking about. I bet they sell all sorts of hoses for different bladder presses. I tried the same hose you have first and it sucked! Mine leaked through all the tiny holes throughout the entire length of the hose. I ended up getting a double-jacket nylon hose that's rated to 200 or 300 psi. I was a little skeptical at first of the nylon because everyone seems to use a rubber hose, but it's worked great. They had a scrap piece off a roll (20') they sold me for around $130.

There are at least 3 House of Hose stores around here that sell some 4 or 6" diameter, lay-flat, discharge hose as well. It's the rubber stuff, and it's not rated as high, but it would work just fine.

I understand you, like everyone on here, is on a budget, but don't skimp on the bladder. I've probably spent close to $500 in the past few years on stuff that either didn't work, or it turned out I didn't need, or I decided not to use. $60 is just the start.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

o man. I'm not going to say a thing about extra hose here.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

Brazen wrote:o man. I'm not going to say a thing about extra hose here.
Not if I'm planning on making 215cm straight skis. :D
I made sure I made it a little long so that if I messed up the coupling I could cut off a bit and try again. I'm sure it'll get shortened later. Better too long than too short.

Thanks for the tips Powderho and Vinman. I called LN Curtis & Sons. Unfortunately, they didn't have any scrap lengths of 4" diameter hose but if anyone is looking for 5" diameter fire hose with Nylon outer jacket and a rubber inner they'll sell it for $5/ft. I ended up with the same PVC discharge hose as you (Vinman). Capital Rubber was cheaper but House of Hose was local and no shipping.

No leaks first try. Tested to 50 psi.

MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

great job.
I had no leaks up to 50 PSI too. Small leaks starts at about 75 PSI. Had to take apart 2 or 3 times to add small gaskets inside. Even now leaks starts at 75 and stops at 70.