crowns closeouts

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

COsurfer

crowns closeouts

Post by COsurfer »

I am trying to understand Crowns closeout stock. Does anyone know what PMS stands for and the numbers separated by backslashes
As an example: PMS 021/4545/527 0.067x12.00x20 (6m)<---I realize this is the size.

Here is an example from crowns website:
http://www.crownplastics.com/catalog/pr ... cts_id=239
sammer

Post by sammer »

Yup, the pms numbers are the pantone color.
Check a pantone color chart for actual colors.
The other numbers are the measurements in inches.
Standard edges are 0.0524" step.
Amazing selection right now.
Might have to stock up!

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Thanks sammer!
falls

Post by falls »

just looking for thoughts on edge step and base material thickness as looking at buying some base from crown.
how crucial is exactly matching base thickness to step size?
I bought base and edges for my initial pairs from skibuilders. i just measured the base i have been using and some is 0.054, some 0.049 and some 0.050. the skis have turned out pretty good regardless of which base was used.
should i only buy .053 thickness base? or is 0.054 and 0.052 OK. is 0.050 ok? how much of a difference in thickness can you get away with? is having thinner base material than step size an issue? does anyone ever measure the base thickness once you get it?
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

I used to stress this, but then I rwealized I could barely notice the difference at all by hand or eye, and of course not at all after the base grind.
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

I doubt that you'll ever notice a few thousandths of an inch. And like OnDeck said, after a base grind all will be well.

What I'm curious about is why there is no product listed in Crown's catalog for sidewall and topsheet. The only category that has product listed is the closeout - recreational group.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Just depends on how many beers you want to give your grinder guy.
or how much time you want to spend.
I would not go thinner than the edge offset as you will likely end up with a concave base.
Its real hard to grind off edge and easier to grind base. I wont be ordering thicker base again if I can avoid it, I did it on 5 pairs and it sucks to grind for me.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
artski

Post by artski »

I made some skis last year that had slightly thinner base mat. than edge step. .3mm. As a result when the shop tried to grind them flat the machine would take the ptex off faster than the edge.
They were edge high to begin with and grinding didn't help.at all.

In soft snow I didn't notice it but on hard groomed I sure did. As long as I kept the ski on edge they were fine, but ski it at all flat and I could really feel it.

It took me a while to figure out that it was because the edge was high from the beginning. So I ended up flat filing the bases/edges until everything was at the same level and then had them stoneground again and then they were great.
So long story longer I learned that not all ptex is the same thickness and you need to pay attention to that.
Steep learning curve in this biz!

regards, art
szymon

Post by szymon »

Just a question, because I don't get it.
Materials shownin Crown, in category 'Closeouts - recreational' are bases?
I undertsand that first number in the symbol is thickness, then how the base is wide, but what is the last number in inches - 0.040x11.18x157 (48m) ? because it's not the lenght of the material which is available, is it? This is stated in metres in brackets, right?

thanks
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Its feet. 48 meters is 157.4 feet.
szymon

Post by szymon »

allright hehe:) now I got it, thx

but it's base, right?
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Ya, most of it is base. Make sure you buy a thickness that matches your edges. There are many rolls on there that are pretty thin and won't work for the typical 1.2mm rise of edges. I think the conversion for 1.2mm is .051 in. Also make sure its abraided and flame treated. Not all of the material on there is. You could probably flame treat it yourself but you cant efficiently abraid it. all of this is on their website. If you are not buying a lot of base I would recommend buying from www.blankslateskis.com. The base on their is what you need and you can buy it by the meter.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

FYI, anyone hopping to buy some sidewall drops, only have a few left, grey and white.

one of the machines that are involved with the manufacturing is down, for possibly 5 more weeks.. if you need some better buy while there are some left

-Jacob
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

I've been working with Jay @ crown to correct the thicknesses on their listings...
and while in the middle of doing that, someone ordered up the roll of pink/gray swirl!!! ughhhh!!!!!!
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

I've been working with Jay @ crown to correct the thicknesses on their listings...
and while in the middle of doing that, someone ordered up the roll of pink/gray swirl!!! ughhhh!!!!!!
Doug