memberlist growing fast lately

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

G-man

memberlist growing fast lately

Post by G-man »

I noticed the relatively large jump in new "members" lately, so, out of curiousity, I clicked on the 'memberlist' option in the menu at the top of the forum page. Man, like 50 or more of the most recent new members in the last couple of weeks are drug salespeople. Someone must have recently come out with some new software that allows salespeople to mass join discussion forums. I think it kind of sucks, especially because they're drug reps. I've spent a lot of years dealing with those folks, and I don't care for 'em much... was glad to get away from them. I noticed a drug sales post a few days ago that disappeared pretty quickly, I imagine because the site administrator removed it. I hope that the new drug members don't all start posting drug sales pitches... could be a major drag for my morning ritual of orange juice, New York Times, and skibuilders.com.

G-man
zachjowi

Post by zachjowi »

we need to combat those pushers. I hope you demolish those accounts that are there for nonlearning purposes
zack726

Post by zack726 »

Start mass deleting everyone who isnt active on the forums
Go to Heaven, ski like Hell
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

G-man:

thanks for your thoughts on this. i've been monitoring the site and know about the non-skibuilder related users. i delete them rather quickly.

but recently they seem to be coming at full force. you might be right about the special program, and i suspect it's some sort of sniffer. anyway, i've activated the "administrator approval" level for new users. for now those who want to join have to be authorized by the administrator, and for now it's me.

we're working on changing over to a new forum system. the layout won't change much, but the system will give us more features, security, and control. and when it's up and running, we'll be looking for highly qualified members to act as moderators. we need additional eyes and ears to help ensure the information on SB is clean and of quality.

now back to deleting those pesky non-SB users...
G-man

Post by G-man »

Who says today's youth are apathetic! Our two high school juniors, Zack and Zach, were ready to kick the drug peddlers to the curb in order to preserve the quality of the forum.

Big Kam, thanks for putting in the time to keep the forum tidy. Wow, clicking on the site this evening was quite a shocker. I thought I had typed in a wrong address. Great new look!

G-man
zack726

Post by zack726 »

Lol. Who said we're apathetic?
Go to Heaven, ski like Hell
G-man

Post by G-man »

Man, these drug guys don't let up. I check the new member list occasionally, out of curiousity, and there seems to always be some drug peddler trying to sneak in. And now I see that they're even posting in the forum rules section. It's keeping the site administrators really busy with deletion duty... nice job of keeping up guys... just wanted to let you know that your diligence is not going un-noticed.

G-man
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

Thanks G-Man. It's frustrating deleting these guys. Sorry if we happen to delete any "real" forum users.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
Chris Downing

Post by Chris Downing »

Boy I hope they don't ruin it for us "real" forum users, I have only just discoverd this site and I learn from it every time I'm here.
downing design