Luft Design 11/12

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

K.Ström

Luft Design 11/12

Post by K.Ström »

So, It al started last seasson. Got inspierd from this page and bought the material for some skis from the last saved money i had. Made a simple shaped powder ski but mixed the epoxy wrong... (base for 2 skis and hardener for one) Had a hard time to live with myself after that, and my spirit to do any moore was just, gone... Guess many of you out there now how it is...

Well! New winter is coming up! At least the calendar says so here in sweden. New job and lots of spirit! So im back agin and this time im going to sheare my thoughts about skis and the building of them.

But first of all i have 2 BIG THANKS to deliver! The first goes to montucky mad man for the kindness to take time to deliver some cordura bags. Still not in use thought...
The second thanks goes to ChrismP for taking time to send me some paulownia core material. One of those is used to the failed pair and the rest is going to be used in this thread. So Thanks a lot both of U guys!

So. My first pair for this winter as follow:
Goal: Stiff On pist perfomer with a "calm" attitude and off pist capability.
Side cut: 150-120-148 R22m
Core: Mono block Pauwlonia 3-14-3
Base: Iso speed 4000
Sidwals: Iso speed 2000
Glas layer: 600g/m2 Triax. Il guess thats around 19oz?
Dubbel VDS Foil over the edges and a lot moore all around in the ski.
Tip/Tail spacer med out of base material.

Im short of time so il just throw up some pictures randomly right now. Moore to come this weekend.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I like the asymmetric tips, those will look really unique!

You can't sweat your failures. That bad mix of epoxy won't be the last mistake you make, but I bet it's the last time you mix epoxy wrong! I've made a few pairs now and every time it's ALWAYS something, it's inevitable. The trick is just to slow down, take a deep breath, and learn from your mistakes.

Once you get excited about it you gotta go at it with all your energy, that's when you'll really enjoy it!
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

bummer about the epoxy...but like twizz said, we all make mistakes. actually i've stopped counting them ;)

glad the boards i sent you will be put to good use. let me know if you ever need more.
K.Ström

Post by K.Ström »

Glad you like the tips! I put a lot of energy to actually design something that looked good and that hasnt been done before.

Have you tested to use the paulownia cores? If this pair workout at least ok, i will need some more. I alredy have plans for 3 more pairs from that template. And then at least 3 pairs of a powder ski.

I know you shouldnt greave to much about the misstakes you makes. But i have been building model airplanes in composite materials for five years now. And that was the only time ive mixed it wrong. And, 2days after the skis was finished i was going up the contry to be a ski teacher and i was so pumped up to actually test my home built skis....
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

yep, i've tested the paulownia cores...last five snowboards are with a mix of paulownia and beech under the bindings.
i don't trust the paulownia to hold the inserts well, that's why i use beech. i suggest you use some harder wood in your binding area too...i don't think paulownia provides enough tear out strength for ski bindings whether you mount them with inserts (a bit better imho) or the regular way.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Haha, I love those ski shapes. You know, they look kind of like the Bigfoot by Kniessel (sp?).
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
endre

Post by endre »

Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I can't believe you didn't put toes with scraggly hairs growing out on those.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
K.Ström

Post by K.Ström »

chrismp wrote:yep, i've tested the paulownia cores...last five snowboards are with a mix of paulownia and beech under the bindings.
i don't trust the paulownia to hold the inserts well, that's why i use beech. i suggest you use some harder wood in your binding area too...i don't think paulownia provides enough tear out strength for ski bindings whether you mount them with inserts (a bit better imho) or the regular way.
The problem for me is that im going to mount my skis with duckstance. This means that i have to put a piece of hardwood across the ski to be able to mount the bindings in it. Not realy confortable to do that to the core I guess. So im going to try to pour some realy low viskocity ca glue after I drilled the holes for the bindings and hope that it solves the problem. If there is a problem...
vinman

Post by vinman »

You could put inserts in check out www.bindingfreedom.com
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
K.Ström

Post by K.Ström »

Yep, inserts is another way to go. And i will try it if this pair fails.

Forgot to say that my basaes got scewed so im gouing to make a vacuum table tomorow. And i also changed my mind about using base material for sidewalls and going for some thicker ones.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

no reason to put the cart before the horse. drill them normal and see of they pull out in a normal days use. You just cant go hit any 45 degree no fall coulouirs. Pine and poplar hold screws just fine until you get super rad or super fat/heavy fat bastard. Even aspen will hold a screw in a ski laminate until you start dropping 20 footers or landing huge backseat.
What do you weigh? What bindings and boots will be on there.
Alpine clamps have allot of screws and most time the get loose before you have a catastrophic failure.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
K.Ström

Post by K.Ström »

Im a 95kg (210pounds) guy. Mostly muscles but im not totaly free of bodyfat.
The bindings im going to start with is salaomon 912Titanium rental type binding. Just to simplify the process where to put the "real" bindings. And i guess i know by that time if the screws will fail or not?
teleman36

Post by teleman36 »

We use nordic binding screws for any tele binding set up that has not been set up with inserts. They can be hard to get sometimes, but given your Scandinavian location you should have it easier. The fins are much wider than standard. Be aware that if your skis have metal in them you wil need to drill and tap, {we have a special tap for this that we used when the Volant Power Carve was "The Ski for Tele" out at Crested Butte. Screws hold better than you think, so like Montucky says mount them up and go for it, just not to BIG. Good Luck
K.Ström

Post by K.Ström »

Teleman36: Sounds like a good idea! I will check it up if its possible to get some of those screws.

As im waiting for more material to arrive (topsheets and sidewalls) and going away for a weeks job tomorow. Il just throw up some pictures of this weekends job.
Im thinking about using foamed PVC as tip/tail spacers. Anyone tried that?

Kicker for CA glue. Good thing to have then attatching edges to the base.

Ski template

Cutting guides for core shaping. Picture of my complete solution of core profiling will be up next week.

Sanding them.

Building adjustable table for vacuuming the skis w. Replace able tips/tails

This is what it looks like then ready for sucki sucki...

The table are adjustable in profile with smal wooden shims between table and its frame. I will weld a more rigd frame in metal for the next pair but this will due for the first pair.