metal tube core

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Chicagoskier11

metal tube core

Post by Chicagoskier11 »

Has anyone ever thought about using some alloy tubes in their core? I was thinking a foam core with two metal tubes running through it might be somehow feasible and very different in the realm of amature ski building. Mcmaster.com would be a good source to get the materials. I would probably go with the aluminum alloy 6061 "Lightweight. Handles high pressures. Good corrosion resistance and weldability. Alloy is aluminum with magnesium and silicon added for strength." Probably with an outside diameter around half an inch. Considering the other materials, this would make for a thick ski but the foam core should keep it light enough.

Here are some specs

Type
General Purpose Aluminum Tubing
Material
Aluminum Alloy 6061
Shape
Single Line
Outside Dia.
1/2" (.5")
Outside Dia. Tolerance
±.006"
Inside Dia.
.402"
Wall Thickness
.049"
Maximum Pressure
1,830 psi @ 72º F
Operating Temperature Range
-454º to +400º F
Metal Bendability
Bendable
Temper
Hard T6
Tensile Strength
High
Metal Construction
Seamless
Metal Flareability
Not Flareable
Sterilize With
Steam (autoclave)
Specifications Met
Aerospace Material Specifications (AMS) and American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
ASTM Specification
ASTM B210
AMS Specification
AMS-WW-T-700/6
Compatible Fittings
Compression

They are $11.75 each for 6'. So for a pair of skis: 4(11.75)=47 plus shipping.

I hope some ideas can flow here and someone can make an Atomic beta race ski-like carver.

You can view a tube contruction layout at titanal-sports.com (hit enter, click the skier, click contruction, and then click tube)
Viewing this picture again makes me think the diameter would have to be >.5"

Feedback?
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

I've thought about using composite golf club shafts. There are places online that you can buy them and they are already tapered. Would be fun to try out.

-kelvin