Stupid Sidewall Mistake

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

JukeSnowboarding

Stupid Sidewall Mistake

Post by JukeSnowboarding »

Ok I am not sure if anyone on here has run into this but I might as well ask.

While off at school my buddy who I build boards with made a nice new core put the sidewalls on and planed it. It came out great. This is where the problem comes in. When we put the core down on our base template I noticed something was amiss, the sidewalls were not wide enough since they pretty much matched the template for the base. This is a problem for when we add the edges to the base making it a little to wide for the core and sidewalls.

So we concluded my buddy cut the sidewalls to the wrong size somehow even though he has successfully done it multiple times before.

If anyone has any tips or advice for how we could salvage this core it would be great.

We thought of using a smaller bearing but since the base is right up against the template when being routered we were not sure if the blade could get to the plastic.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

The edge needs to be entirely supported on top by sidewall, you don't want exposed steel on top or you might be tempting edge rip-out.

I think your only option is to make a smaller template and cut the base down and make your skis a couple of mm narrower :(
JukeSnowboarding

Post by JukeSnowboarding »

Yeah I was just trying to brain storm how to fix it, but it seems almost impossible. Stupid fluke haha
vinman

Post by vinman »

The only thing you can do to salvage the core is rip the sidewalls off and reattach new wider ones even if it has to be wood.

When I cut my cores to shape I trace my full width template and the measure 5 mm inside of each side and retrace. So my actual core comes out 1cm narrower than the template. Then I add the sidewalls of 10 mm back on. This takes into account the extra width added on from the edges.

So it would be template width + 4.4 mm for edges -10 mm cut back + 20mm side wall. This should leave 5 mm on either side for cut off

This is probably more than needed but it works in my head. As I get better ill begin leaving less sidewall in the flash.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
kylea

Post by kylea »

It seems like you may have already profiled the core, but if you just planed it flat with the sidewalls on you could cut the core down the middle and laminate another strip of wood between the two halves. If the core is already profiled this would be pretty difficult though.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

kylea wrote:It seems like you may have already profiled the core, but if you just planed it flat with the sidewalls on you could cut the core down the middle and laminate another strip of wood between the two halves. If the core is already profiled this would be pretty difficult though.
Difficult, but still doable. Best solution.
jellyfish

Post by jellyfish »

You will need to router a narrower base you can do this by cutting one side of your template then shift it sideways being care ful to keep it aligned say 6 mm that will give 3 mm per side you now have a narrow base depending on how much overlap you have the tips might be ok but you could do the same on each tip 3mm. in the end it should be pretty close but you may have to sand out the laps to make the transitions smooth,depends on your tip and tail outlines.

I hand shape all my templates they start as a 1/4 of the final shape I may even combine templates of diffent shapes to get the end I want, using alignment pins it's just cutting and flipping to end up with a full template.

Sno cad lazer cut templates and cnc are great if your into that kind of thing and grew up with it but for me it's to confined parameters that you get stuck in too many rules it does not allow me to be creative and solve my day to day problems building.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

Kylea's option I think is best. Do you have insert holes? that's the only thing you'd have to consider if adding a center strip
Doug