Need press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

full circle

Need press

Post by full circle »

Im opening a snowboard manufacturing company in north idaho. I want to buy a used or new press. Any ideas? Or know anyone that has one for sale.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

What is the reason for not building your own?

It's not likely you will find one locally, and after factoring in the effort/expense in moving a press you'd buy to Idaho, it may make more sense to build your own. It's not a difficult thing to build, just need to find a source for some steel.
full circle

Post by full circle »

I just dont have the time or even know where to start. I would rather just buy one or pay someone to build it for me. Im working full time and trying to start this biz at the same time.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Well you might want to at least educate yourself on how to build a good press. It's the first step in a VERY complicated process (the entire building process). I hope you know what you're getting into! :)

(welcome to the forum!)
full circle

Post by full circle »

I am very framiliar in the building process, i was a shop foreman for a company that bought out heelside. I understand how the press works and such, I just dont have time to build it or even the mechanical abilities to. i would rather pay money and have it built right.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I messaged you earlier. I really feel that if you're going to be a serious builder you should build your own tooling, or if you're just going to go pro, then have a press built for you by SBM or someone. Personally, I think it's kinda creepy that you just drop in on a few small open source builders and try to buy all their stuff. Just sayin'.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
TahoePowder

Post by TahoePowder »

or even know where to start.
Welcome to the forum, you're in the right place!! :D
full circle

Post by full circle »

Creepy? What the hell is that all about? I was recommended to check out this forum, so I did. Im not trying to buy everyones tools. I just want to buy a press and start building. If that's creepy to you, I apologize. If you have any other negative things to say about me please pm or text me.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Sorry if you're offended by that. It just seems common human courtesy to introduce yourself to a community prior to trying to divest them of resources they share among themselves. Maybe it's just me. Hell, just buy me out then!
full circle

Post by full circle »

Ok. I didn't know there was a procedure to joining in on a forum. My apologies. My name is Kurt, I live in North Idaho. I worked as a builder for a few years. Its always been my dream to build on my own. I recently had to leave my job due to that fact that I got diagnosed as epileptic. So the only thing I can really do is become self employed. I couldn't think of anything I would rather do. Im not trying to get rich. I could really care less. I just want to follow my dreams. If that is creepy I don't really know what to say. You don't know me, so please don't judge me.
full circle

Post by full circle »

Ok. I didn't know there was a procedure to joining in on a forum. My apologies. My name is Kurt, I live in North Idaho. I worked as a builder for a few years. Its always been my dream to build on my own. I recently had to leave my job due to that fact that I got diagnosed as epileptic. So the only thing I can really do is become self employed. I couldn't think of anything I would rather do. Im not trying to get rich. I could really care less. I just want to follow my dreams. If that is creepy I don't really know what to say. You don't know me, so please don't judge me.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

And when I'm done, I'll build you some presses. How many would you like?
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Brazen is, well, brazen.

Add alcohol and it gets worse.

LOL.

For the most part nobody is going to sell you a press, or build one for you. Partially due to the liability.

You really need to build your own, as the type of press you build will determine what kind of molds you can use, etc...

That being said for about 20-30k, I will gladly come to idaho and build you a press.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Oh, and building a press is much easier than building quality snowboards.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

^