Need press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

falls

Post by falls »

http://snowboardmaterials.com/pages/sno ... resses.htm
this is the only place i know of that sells presses, other than a company called langzauner (but i think they are $$).
I think fitting out a press and getting it to press correctly is a fair challenge too, up there with building one.
Understanding the whole process yourself is good I think, unless there is someone else in your business that understands the whole deal and you can work on the part you know.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
telehead

Post by telehead »

I will build you a press! No problem, I think you are smart to buy, or have someone that is a professional take care of some of the work. Not everyone has the resources, (or ability) to build some of the tooling for skibuilding. I have a full welding/fabrication shop, i can whip one out in no time. Send me a drawing, I will deliver to McCall Idaho. You might have to buy me a ski ticket though! Cheers....kt
full circle

Post by full circle »

Wow, I thought this was a site where I could find information and help, not be judged and talk down to. Maybe I should just start over. What would be the entrance that would be most suitable for everyone?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

full circle wrote:Wow, I thought this was a site where I could find information and help, not be judged and talk down to. Maybe I should just start over. What would be the entrance that would be most suitable for everyone?
Don't allow yourself to be offended, everyone here has thick hides, we all share successes and failures for the greater good of the self-building community (I like Brazen's description best as an "open-source" building community). Shake it off, get to building! :)
falls

Post by falls »

You are getting information and help for the most part.
Someone has offered to build you a press and deliver what I imagine is relatively local, and there is a link to a USA supplier of presses above.
The biggest piece of help people are giving too is their experience from the point thay you are at. That you learn as you go and at first it does seem you will just get a press and materials and build boards/skis in no time. I think for the most part we have all been like this and the reality was somewhat different, many frustrations along the way before the rewards.
I have had no intention to offend at all in any of my posts. You seem very gung ho/enthused to be getting into board building (which is great) - I think everyone is just trying to temper this a little and get you to make a solid plan so you don't buy things that are no good for you that you will regret in the future.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
full circle

Post by full circle »

After much research and some help from good people I've decided to build my own press.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

full circle wrote:After much research and some help from good people I've decided to build my own press.
NICE!!! :D Now you're talking!
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

'Mongo' style press is a good option, if you are short on time. Cheaper and quicker to build than the I-beam press. It features in the background of a manufacturer video. Not sure which, think Falls knows?

Agree with the approach, if you can outsource certain issues, you can concentrate on building ... and finding materials (

Good luck!
TahoePowder

Post by TahoePowder »

http://www.happymonkeysnowboards.com/Mo ... /Main_Page

This is a great resource for I beam presses. A little more in depth than the main skibuilders page.

I think the video Richuk was mentioning with the "Mongo style" press is the Kingswood video:

Also, falls journal itself is a great start to finish read. And some awesome results.

viewtopic.php?t=2141

One last thing MontuckyMadman told me that was immensely helpful, either keep a solid list of bookmarks, or create a folder on your desktop where you can sort information and notes about certain things.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

And watch out for me :D haha
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
ggardner90

Post by ggardner90 »

send me a pm and ill shoot u over a model of the one i built.

i am newish to this forum as well, the people here are the most helpful of any forum i have been on. just dont take anything personally or you wont survive. learn that and you will be ready to make dope boards
full circle

Post by full circle »

Thanks for all of the help. Im still trying to gather up as much info as possible before I start building. Any other ideas or help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
AKtransplant

Post by AKtransplant »

A great place I have found for scrap steel and some helpful steel manufacturing folks is Ceour D'alene metal in Spokane. They have a shop in Ceour D'alene as well but I don't know if they have a remnants shop in that location. They have been very helpful as I build my new press.
full circle

Post by full circle »

Thanks brutha, will check them out today.
Powforbreakfast.

Post by Powforbreakfast. »

Oy! Dude, I know you said you're looking to build your own, but hold on! I'm in the market to sell mine and I live in southeastern Washington! I just posted it up on the yard sale forums, but check out my youtube video explaining it. It's a double-wide at 20" so it would work super well for boards!

Cheers!

Pow