Sizing

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

RileyBILT Snowboards

Sizing

Post by RileyBILT Snowboards »

I am building my first snowboard for a school project and I am really struggling to figure out how much bigger the base needs to be than the core?? Can someone please help me?
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

First decide what size of board you are building. I use 1/2" sidewalls, so subtract 1/2" on each side to get your core width. Sounds like u need to do a lot more research before you start a build.
RileyBILT Snowboards

Thanks

Post by RileyBILT Snowboards »

Thanks a lot for your suggestion of doing more research, but that is the only problem I am having so far. Do you know of any good resources to look at other than Graf Snowboards because I can't get their website to open anymore.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

your question makes no sense. the base shape determines the size of the board. Do research here. read and then read some more.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
kylea

Post by kylea »

MontuckyMadman wrote:your question makes no sense. the base shape determines the size of the board. Do research here. read and then read some more.
His question makes perfect sense. I would offset the core profile inward at least 1/4". The more you offset though the more wiggle room you have for misalignment during layup. So for a first board you may want to go closer to the 1/2" offset as suggested above.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

what? You mean for the rabbet in the core for the edge?
The core needs to be bigger than the base for slop and core shift if your alignment is poor.
if you make the core smaller than the base you are fuct.
kylea

Post by kylea »

I believe he is referring to making the core smaller than the base and then attaching sidewalls.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

pretty sure you are just speculating because the question is very poorly worded with no explanation and really makes no sense at all.
kylea

Post by kylea »

Fair enough. I guess I implied some common sense and previous knowledge in the op.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

You mean, what is the recommended width for sidewall material. It depends on what materials you are using.

This might be helpful: viewtopic.php?t=3368