Ski Press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

JoseSnow

Ski Press

Post by JoseSnow »

Hi Everybody, my name is Jose and I want to start building skis. Now I a trying to find I beams for my press but the messurments of the beam I need are not available. The companies tell me I have to go to a place where they can weld the I Beams I need.
My question is, Can I use welded I beams? and What Flange thickness do they need to be?

Thank you very much.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Joesnow, you might want to outline the type of beams you have in mind...there are a few calculations/designs posted within the forum, they might offer a few alternative ideas.
JoseSnow

Post by JoseSnow »

Richuck,
I want to build the same press as MonkeySnowboards one. They use Double T Beams made of steel. The thing is it is so hard to find the mesurments I want because all beams come already done. But, I have the chance to buy made up beans from people that weld them, to you think they will work as good as the ones made with heat from the beginning?

Also I am still wondering what should be the thickness of the beam..

thanks
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

There is a thread on the forum showing how a welded beam failed ... so I would put this option on the back burner.

Mike is quite happy to answer questions, but I would spend more time researching the issue. Lots of information in this section about beams and how they have been used.
telehead

Post by telehead »

Go to PDM website, they have all the "WideFlange Beams" that are available. I used the W6 X 15 with a .375" X 5 flat bar to complete the bed. The finished bed is 17" wide. I think most presses are overbuilt IMO mine deflects less than .080 with 100 psi. These beams will cost much less than the W12 or W14 that alot of people are using. I would NOT use any welded beams, spend the money one time and build it right the first time. Just my 2cents...
nate

Post by nate »

Take this as advice of someone who's read this forum but doesn't have direct experience.

Welded beams should be ok if you hold them together like this (ignore the text):

or like this:

But if you build it like this:
using welded beams, you could have this happen:

The thing to note is the difference between building a frame around the I-beams to hold them together and bolting the I-Beams directly together with just a spacer.
That is, if you build it the first way it won't matter if your beams are welded or not, it will probably hold. But if you build it the second way and your beams aren't welded well it can pull apart.
JoseSnow

Post by JoseSnow »

Thank you very much nate and telehead.

Your opinion are a big help for me.

Now, if I am starting, should I invest from the beggining in I Beams or should I an Iron one with long squares tubes?

Could the Iron one bes as good as the I Beam one?

Thanks
vinman

Post by vinman »

Go to a scrap yard or a construction company that works with big steel like bridges. They can answer questions and might have steel in many forms on hand.

Check out my press in my 1st journal entry titled whiteroom skis. It is made from 6x6 tube steel with I beam spacers and vertical center supports. This is a welded press. I press at 50-60 psi with little to no vertical deflection.

Read as much of the forum as you can to gain ideas and knowledge. Then once you've read everything ask specific questions.

Good luck.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I agree with nate. welded beams work fine if they are set up like the picture above with supports encasing the beam not when they are connected via the center flange.
ra
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Some words: spec out your beams carefully and do the calcs for the cage or whatever you are surrounding your beams with. The cage will carry the load, and the load will be transferred to the bolts, etc., so if you don't connect things properly, bad things can happen. I've sheared a handful of bolts in the past have taken the press design a little more serious. Besides, it's an important piece of equipment and if designed right it will last for many, many cycles and years to come. Why not do it right in the first place so you can feel comfortable lingering around the press when it's fully loaded....
JoseSnow

Post by JoseSnow »

Thanks for all your help guys. Just I am wondering:

Telehead - If I use the W6 X 15 with a .375" I beams. Should I put like 3 on top and 3 on bottom so I can get up to 17" wide?

is 17 wide enogh to build big powder skis??

Telehead do you hacve any pictures of you perss??

thanks
nate

Post by nate »

17" should be wide enough for most skis.
uncski

Post by uncski »

Like Nate said, 17 inches will give you around 430mm of working room. If you're building a pair of skis wider than that... let me know where you ski, I'd love to move there.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

our press is 15" with a cassette system at 14". plenty of room.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

A few gussets on that failed I beam would have stopped it from failing. Also an I beam will always be stronger than square tube for building a press. If you had square tube laying around I would suggest welding a truss like structure along the the top edge of the top piece and the bottom edge of the bottom piece, this will improve its strength greatly.