Could adjustable rocker / camber boards happen?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Huck Pitueee

Could adjustable rocker / camber boards happen?

Post by Huck Pitueee »

l've used these truss rods in guitars and see possibilities.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/ ... t_Rod.html
How cool would that be to change your cambered board or skiis to rockered in a couple minutes.
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

There were some skis in the 80's called the Chameleon that had something similar to that. It was more for stiffness but I like the adjustability concept.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Some one post a vid where they took fishing line or something similar and attached it to the tips and tails. They had some mechanism to pull the string to lift the tips and tails to make it rocker. It was so simple. Can't say it was practical, but the concept was there.
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

This should be standard in the next ten years. Now that we've tested almost every rocker / camber / planshape variation. Just no fishin line. ;)
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Yea Twizz, Wish I had SMA now so I could be in my 20's again :)
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

Its been done, sort of...

http://bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showp ... stcount=15

http://bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showp ... stcount=27

http://bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showt ... ht=tinkler

Mike Tinkler developed the 'Snow Stix' that allow you change how the board flexes in one particular area of the board. He also has some kind of adjustable point in the middle that controls the camber. He builds some crazy stuff...
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

mind = blown
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

WOW! amazing stuff. I thought adding truss rods to boards would be heavy.
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

I used to have a pair of bindings that had a switch that would adjust the stress on the ski. It would noticeably adjust the camber on the ski. With so many of the big boys incorporating bindings into the skis it seems like it should be a snap to have some sort of truss rod to adjust camber/rocker.

I'd rather just build myself another second pair.
"Powder days? Everyone loves powder days. You can ski powder days the rest of your life. I prefer ice, its faster." -Glen Plake
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

Nick's Sticks wrote:I used to have a pair of bindings that had a switch that would adjust the stress on the ski. It would noticeably adjust the camber on the ski. With so many of the big boys incorporating bindings into the skis it seems like it should be a snap to have some sort of truss rod to adjust camber/rocker.

I'd rather just build myself another second pair.
Same here plus the weight thing. Who knows. For people on a budget or travelers it could work. In the back country conditions change as you get out onto exposed ridges and such. One trip I did last year had a sweet protected pow zone but you had to skin 5 miles of icy tracks to get there. Camber would have been perfect for the approach.