topsheet problem

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

zepher

topsheet problem

Post by zepher »

So I just pulled a pair of skis out of the press and most of the topsheet had not bonded to the ski. I was able to then rip most of that unbonded sheet off and it seems like the fiberglass layers bonded and were cured. Did I just not have enough epoxy between the topmost glass layer and the topsheet? Would it be possible to try to repress them with a new topsheet? Such a bummer because the skis look great otherwise.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

What top sheet did you use? Where did you get it from?

I just had a pair come out of my press recently with the same thing. It's not the full length though, most of the ski is bonded great and I can pull as hard as I want and it won't peel off, but at the tip, it peels up with almost no effort. The top sheet was perfectly cleaned, so I'm a bit stumped. Never had this problem before.
zepher

Post by zepher »

it was the clear crown topsheet... I hate the way that stuff looks, the skis look better without it I think.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Ah ok. The stuff I used was the clear glossy stuff Snowboard Materials has right now, I'm not sure who the manufacturer is. Its completely crystal clear though, not semi-clear.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

but did you flame treat?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I did not, but 90% of the topsheet is bonded. Could have just been dirty I suppose, although we cleaned things off pretty good (no solvents, just air/shop towels), and it happened on both skis. Oh well.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

always have to flame.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.