Horizontally and vertically laminated bamboo?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gladegp

Horizontally and vertically laminated bamboo?

Post by gladegp »

I would like to use bamboo in my cores as it is light and strong. I only wonder how good it is at retaining binding screws. I've tried hard wood like ash and oak and these are very good at this. How will bamboo be?

To my main question:
I can only get vertically laminated bamboo in 5mm thick boards locally and I haven't found any other good suppliers (to Norway). Do you think it will work to laminate 2 such boards to make one 10 mm board?
Will 3-10-3 mm of bamboo be a very soft ski using 22oz triax above and below?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

My last skis were 3-10-3 with 19oz triax, and I'd consider them a medium-stiff ski. 2-10-2 is what I use for a softer park ski.

Can't speak to screw retention though, as I use inserts in all of my skis now.
gladegp

Post by gladegp »

Ok, thanks a lot. It's essential that the bamboo will have good screw retantion. Otherwise I won't be using it. Maybe I could laminate on ash on top. But that would be a lot of work.
Inserts are to much hassle, I've tried it and didn't particularly like it. It's good for switching bindings though. I really don't understand why we would need inserts when none of the big manufacturers use them. Then I'll prefer an all ash core.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I use inserts for just that reason - I swap bindings between skis all the time. If I wasn't swapping bindings, I'd just screw in directly. I would guess that the bamboo would hold just fine, but it's probably worth doing some tests to be sure.

Wouldn't be hard. Layup a couple of small pieces of wood, and some of bamboo, complete with fiberglass. Drill them and put some ski binding screws in - use a torque wrench and tighten until the screw strips the wood. Compare the values. Then do a vertical pullout, you'll need something like a fish scale, and some clever rigging. Pull them vertically until they rip out. Compare the wood to bamboo. That will give you your answer.
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

I did one all bamboo core and the screws felt very solid going in. I was able to hand tighten them pretty hard with confidence.

Your core profile will determine stiffness. I could make a 3-11-3 profile that is softer than a 3-10-3. Its too hard to say without seeing the drawing. As a matter of fact, now that I remember it I did make a 3-11-3 all bamboo core and it was what I call soft.

If you want to use inserts after building you can always use Quiver Killers. I think the reason none of the big guys are doing it is because there is no standardized hole pattern like with snowboards.
ggardner90

Post by ggardner90 »

we use bamboo exclusively and have never had a binding pull out
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

I used VG bamboo for my last pair of skis. I over tightened one of the screws when remounting. The bamboo felt like it tore more easily than some of my other cores. It wasn't a problem though since I was replacing the screws with inserts. The inserts hold like a rock.

I use Binding Freedom inserts. I think they are pretty much the same thing as the Quiver Killers. As long as you have a good jig the inserts are just as easy as mounting with screws.

If you haven't read this thread already it contains some good advice.

and an insert vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYUaW-MZ9QY
"Powder days? Everyone loves powder days. You can ski powder days the rest of your life. I prefer ice, its faster." -Glen Plake
Nick's Sticks

Post by Nick's Sticks »

This thread, sorry

viewtopic.php?t=3419
"Powder days? Everyone loves powder days. You can ski powder days the rest of your life. I prefer ice, its faster." -Glen Plake
grace ski

Bamboo cores

Post by grace ski »

We have never had a problem. All our cores are bamboo. We do use a Gorilla glue when mounting, some add epoxy.

www.skigrace.com