How do you remove the edges from base after pressing?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

SkiTheNortheast

How do you remove the edges from base after pressing?

Post by SkiTheNortheast »

After you attach the edges to the base material how do you remove the metal teeth from the bottom after you press the ski?

I looked through the how to section of this site and I searched a lot of threads but it doesn't say how do it, but every picture of skis posted here is without the metal teeth on the bottom. I haven't made my first pair yet so maybe it will be obvious when I do, but I don't want to miss an important step and be stuck with them, if there is something special everyone does that I missed.
switzch

Post by switzch »

Dude the teeth go into the ski not along the running surface. Read more!
SkiTheNortheast

how do you explain the last picture here then http://www.skibuilders.com/howto/finish/

the teeth are clearly still on the bottom of the ski and they claim the ski is finished
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

It's clear base material

:D
SkiTheNortheast

oh... so the teeth are actually on the top of the base not the bottom?
amidnightproject

Yep
SkiTheNortheast

it all makes sense now
amidnightproject

:D

It all comes together eventually. Just have to read, read, read, read buy some stuff, mess something up read some more and then it'll click :D
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Yikes, I'm glad you cleared this up before you tried to make a ski that way! Back to the basics!
Sherpa Burns

Post by Sherpa Burns »

this just made my day. big smiles.
SkiTheNortheast

I was under the impression that edges had two sides of teeth that wrapped around the base, until I looked more closely at a picture of them earlier today.

man I feel dumb
amidnightproject

You Feel dumb? Ha! I just rushed a layup the other day and put my topsheet on backwards.

It's ski building ISH happens! :D
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

I do have some more advice for you. Read the forums instead of the how to section of this site. Much of it is outdated and way more valuable info is posted here on a daily basis.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Dr. Delam wrote:I do have some more advice for you. Read the forums instead of the how to section of this site. Much of it is outdated and way more valuable info is posted here on a daily basis.
I agree with this 100%. I hate to rag on the How-To sections, because they've been around for years, and were likely the starting point for many of the builders on here (myself included). But it's very out-dated, and many of the proven home-builder techniques have been approved upon since then.
SkiTheNortheast

yea I've kind of noticed that. When I first started researching how to make skis I took notes on the how to section, but since reading the forums I've had to go back and get rid of some of those notes because there's better information.

I was almost going to make the press they have in the how to section until I realized how small and unproductive it is compared to the ones the people use here in the forums