is Too much Preasure Possible

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

twizzstyle

Re: Brilliant Help

Post by twizzstyle »

Bloefeld wrote: Then I control them with PLC's and a cheap desktop computer. With thermo-couples inserted into the centre of my fiber matrix and ramp up each section of each zone on each side until I get to my optimal cure temperature and then start the ramp down. It would even be possible to control the ramp-down by running water through fluoro-carbon tubes that would also be inserted into the aluminium. This could all be easily automated so that once you start up your system, you could walk away and forget it (unless you burn your shop down).

Am I mental or what?
I think my eyes just went crossed. You could also just blow the side of your cattrack with a heatgun for 10 minutes. :) (don't laugh, I did that once when my old blanket wasn't long enough to reach the tail of a friend's ski)

But don't get me wrong, just building that crazy cassette sounds like a project and a half! And that's why we do this right? (heck, I'm starting to build a very large CNC router, when I don't really make that many skis each year... a project is a project)
vinman

Post by vinman »

Sounds way more complext than it needs to be. You are over thinking things a bit.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Hey twizz, would you start a build journal for your cnc?
I am interested in many aspects and have been researching it for months and nailed down a design and did the numbers and I cant afford it yet...
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

MontuckyMadman wrote:Hey twizz, would you start a build journal for your cnc?
I am interested in many aspects and have been researching it for months and nailed down a design and did the numbers and I cant afford it yet...
You bet man! I've been toying with this idea for a couple of years, but had too much else going on. Getting my bonus at work in just a couple of weeks, and that will pay for the entire project and then some :) I don't really have any excuses now. So far I've got the basic structure/moving parts designed, and I've been filling up a spreadsheet with parts and prices. In a couple more weeks I'll be ready to pull the trigger and will probably order as much as I can at once. I'll get a thread going at that time.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I got an ipad as a christmas bonus and promptly sold it.
Pretty weak.
falls

Post by falls »

awesome twizz - looking forward to it.
MM - I like your style!
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Twizz, I hope you are going rack and pinion and high quality linear motion fully supported rails.
Bloefeld

Re: Brilliant Help

Post by Bloefeld »

twizzstyle wrote:
Bloefeld wrote: Then I control them with PLC's and a cheap desktop computer. With thermo-couples inserted into the centre of my fiber matrix and ramp up each section of each zone on each side until I get to my optimal cure temperature and then start the ramp down. It would even be possible to control the ramp-down by running water through fluoro-carbon tubes that would also be inserted into the aluminium. This could all be easily automated so that once you start up your system, you could walk away and forget it (unless you burn your shop down).

Am I mental or what?
I think my eyes just went crossed. You could also just blow the side of your cattrack with a heatgun for 10 minutes. :) (don't laugh, I did that once when my old blanket wasn't long enough to reach the tail of a friend's ski)

But don't get me wrong, just building that crazy cassette sounds like a project and a half! And that's why we do this right? (heck, I'm starting to build a very large CNC router, when I don't really make that many skis each year... a project is a project)
Here are a few links that may help in your quest to build a CNC router. I've built quite a few robotic tools for plants. These are good sources that can move you along pretty easily. You may well be aware of all of them, but what the heck, its just a few bytes.

These guys can get you from a home built to a buy it off the shelf system. They have some great resource books that are free.

http://www.technocnc.com/

These guys sell just about everything, including lots of linear components. Their quality is very high and the service is great. Pricey on some stuff, dirt cheap on others.

http://us.misumi-ec.com/

It takes a lot of skill to build bases for these machines out of steel and then welding them together. Although cheaper, the results can mean a lot of time trying to fix very small errors in geometry.

This product is quite expensive at first glance, but allows you a lot of flexibility in changing design on-the-fly and so long as you have a chop saw that cuts dead square in every orientation, you can build just about anything with it. I have made giant radial arm saws (26 inch blade), 5 axis coating spray systems, and the biggest multi hole drill device you have ever seen. All for less than 1/4 the cost of having an actual automation company come in and do the design and build for me. In fact the 5 Axis paint unit cost to have a robotic company do it was $500,000. I did it all for less than $60,000. It was complicated and had a big foot-print.

http://www.item24.com/en/

They also have a bunch of linear actuators that can be made very accurately.

Take a look at Bishop-Wisecarver too. http://www.bwc.com/ They have a lot of good and less expensive linear guide material too. They also have boat-loads of different ball and roller ball screws to give you highly precise drive. Helpful engineers when you get yourself confused.

Good luck on this project. Do keep a journal on it, maybe up the anti a bit and go to 5 axis!

Cheers,

Bloefeld
SkiTheNortheast

Post by SkiTheNortheast »

MontuckyMadman wrote:essentially what you are describing is about the way the $100K Austrian made presses work.
The nice thing about a multi zone heat is you can for instance ramp the temp in the forebody and tip of the ski on the top only to give a nice gradual rocker profile to a long radius pow ski without having to retool, giving you more options and camber profiles from one mold.
You could also make an entirely reverse camber ski from a flat mold as well.
I'm new to skibuilding but I have been doing a lot of research so I can get my skis done right from the beginning, but I'm getting really confused by this thread.

Are you saying above that you can't create a rockered profile without using multiple molds or a multi heat zone? I thought you just created the mold with a rockered profile then heated the top.

Also, a question for Bloefield, how would this system help you make more skis per day than the traditional press? You would certainly be able to cure the epoxy in a more accurate and precise way, but wouldn't you have the same epoxy cure times as when using a regular heat blanket?

I'm also having a hard time picturing your setup, would the aluminum plate be sticking out the sides of the press so you can put the heat strips on it without indenting the skis, and the heat would just conduct across the whole plate?

if these are dumb questions I apologize, I have been reading a lot of threads and thought I was kind of getting the ski making process down, but this thread makes me question whether or not a lot of things I have read are the right way to go
Bloefeld

SkiTheNortheast

Post by Bloefeld »

The reason for multi zone heating is to cure the resin at as close to the perfect heat load as possible and take into account the change in thickness of the ski.

Cheers,

Bloefeld
SkiTheNortheast

sounds like a great setup, if you get it to work I´d like to try making a similar one
Bloefeld

Ski The North

Post by Bloefeld »

SkiTheNortheast wrote:sounds like a great setup, if you get it to work I´d like to try making a similar one
I broke my collar bone in a fall this past Saturday, so when I get some function back I will send you some drawings.

Cheers,

Bloefeld
SkiTheNortheast

man, that's rough. hope you get better