Tele heli ski design advise needed

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

teleman36

Tele heli ski design advise needed

Post by teleman36 »

I have three pairs of skis to make that will be used for western deep deep, {heli drops}, a powder only biased ski, and a ski for every day, everywhere western snow that will be fun in the trees. I am an east coaster woods skier skiing on 150 to 160 cm. boards that are about 112 under foot. These work great in New England, and good for me,{5' 5" 150lbs} out west, but feel a longer ski would be better. the guys that will be on them are 5'10",5'8" about 180lbs., and one 6'1" 200lbs. Any insight from anyone in this forum would be appreciated, especially tele guys. I am not asking you to design a ski for me but any info of what works or what does'nt work would be appreciated. Thank's Mark
SkiTheNortheast

Post by SkiTheNortheast »

you should ride at least 170's, maybe 175's.

180's for the 5'10 guy, and 190's for the 6'1 guy.

and at least 115 underfoot for each one, and try to have some early rise rocker on the tip and tail
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

tele,
At 6'1" and about 180 I tele on 176 all the time at resorts. Just pressed a new ski for powder with a light bit of rise, length for this one is 185 with a rl of 135. My logic on this is: base it on the actual running length of the ski. More rise tip and tail equal less running length for the same length ski. I go back and forth on a flat ski vs a camber ski. I think there is no need for camber for a true powder ski but if you are doing any skinning at all, put some camber in it.
ra
vinman

Post by vinman »

For bigger and more wide open terrain with potentially deep pow I'd look a something at least in the 183-186 range. This should be a good length for everyone you listed.

If it were my ski I'd make a 185 cm ski. With rocker up front , somerthing about 7-8 cm rise over 25-39 cm and either flat or very low camber. I'm not sure what you tele guys think about tail rocker so I'll defer on that point.

For dimensions I'd go with something like 140/120/130 or for a slightly more turns ski 138/115/126
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
sammer

Post by sammer »

Not sure how it would tele but...
For pure pow reverse sidecut is amazing.
I'm still toying with the idea of straight, rockered, pow ski. 125-125-125.
Will probably try it for next year.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
SkiTheNortheast

Post by SkiTheNortheast »

sammer try negative camber
teleman36

tele heli ski

Post by teleman36 »

Thank you all for taking the time to help get me going in the right direction. I will post the results and trip reports when we get back sometime in March. No time now as I have to get back to making the fat bastards. Later, Mark