How are you cutting you're p-tex?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

SkiTheNortheast

Post by SkiTheNortheast »

could you stack 2 or 3 layers of p-tex and cut them all at once?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Sure, just make sure you've got some really strong clamps holding it all in place, I'd worry about the layers shifting.

The idea about using the hand-planer on the ptex after routing - I would worry about consistency between skis. Really, if you've got a good template (which is very easy to make with a bandsaw and some sanding), cutting out the ptex with a router is very easy, and very fast. I just use a normal cheap straight edge router bit with bearing.

I cut out 4 bases yesterday, in maybe 10 minutes, for two different pairs (two different templates). Other than cutting out the corners for 3/4 edge wrap (I do that by hand with a razor blade), after routing the base is ready for the edges/layup.
jono

Post by jono »

I tape, face to face, the two layers of base material together. Then I clamp them to a mdf template and use a router with a flush trim bit to follow the template. I vary the size of the bearing to increase the overall dimension of the ski if I want wider skis. I have to shave some ptex strands off the bases.
I like the steel templates used in this video at 4:04 http://www.igneousskis.com/custom/wp-co ... gneous.mov
Judging from their setup, I think they used a knife to cut their bases.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

another day I thought about new way to creating templates ......on profiling jig. First create negative of sidecut both sides at the same time of course This way both sides will be identical. After that on simple router circle cutter Jig make tips/tails coverture. this way 4 sections put together will create negative of the mold or maybe even mold itself ( this is just an idea).
how about it? I think it should work.
jono

Post by jono »

I make half of a template on the factory straight edge of a mdf trim board (drawing a line and following it with thin flexible mdf and jigsaw/router/belt sander). Then, with a router (flush trim bit), I copy it on the other edge and put these back to back and create another whole template.
If I spread the tips of the 1/2 template I can maneuver the centers of the edge radii on subsequent templates. This method also ensures symmetry in the final template.

Does anyone use metal templates and a knife or a die cut method to cut out bases?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Richuk was getting steel templates cut out by lasers or water jets if I recall correctly. And was using the cutoffs in the cassette, which is pretty killer.
uncski

Post by uncski »

twizzstyle wrote:Richuk was getting steel templates cut out by lasers or water jets if I recall correctly. And was using the cutoffs in the cassette, which is pretty killer.
That's a damn good idea.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I cut all my bases with a cnc drag knife, but a roller bearing bit on a tile router with an mdf template is much faster.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Another question for ya Brett - how do you hold down the ptex when cutting with the drag knife? I'm not sure if you've got a vacuum hold-down system or not, I am NOT planning on doing any vacuum, just machinist clamps and a grid of a few hundred t-nuts.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

spray 77 for now
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
PTTR

Post by PTTR »

I got a local firm with a CNC to cut me a whole range of "radius rulers". from 10m to 30meter plus a couple of s-shapes. I now use these with a router to make templates. The s-shapes for tip and tail molds and transitions between curvs. Now I can make all the templates my self and they will always be correct.