Top Cassette

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

uncski

Post by uncski »

Thanks Matt! Like most people I'm probably trying to over think the initial build and need to just build and learn from trial and error.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Well I certainly wouldnt encourage building such an experimental tool for your first build. Put plenty of time into designing what you think is the perfect ski, build it with a simple and reliable method, then completely redesign when realize how much better your second attempt will be (warning: this is a never ending cycle) :)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

mattman wrote:Well I certainly wouldnt encourage building such an experimental tool for your first build. Put plenty of time into designing what you think is the perfect ski, build it with a simple and reliable method, then completely redesign when realize how much better your second attempt will be (warning: this is a never ending cycle) :)
I second that.
uncski

Post by uncski »

I completely agree, unfortunately the "perfect ski" to me isn't attainable without precise 3d cnc'd templates. Thus trying to cut corners :D Maybe I need to get some "basic" builds under my belt before I start working on my dream ski.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

found a blog with a guy building capped skis in an interesting way. he presses a traditional ski but without a topsheet, cuts the flashing, bevels the sidewalls and then applies the topsheet in a second pressing. the cap is achieved simply by putting foam sheets on top of the laminate.

here's his blog with photos: http://holuta-ski-design.blogspot.com/2 ... age-2.html
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

Im gonna give that a go on some scraps. Won't hurt to try it.
uncski

Post by uncski »

chrismp wrote:found a blog with a guy building capped skis in an interesting way. he presses a traditional ski but without a topsheet, cuts the flashing, bevels the sidewalls and then applies the topsheet in a second pressing. the cap is achieved simply by putting foam sheets on top of the laminate.

here's his blog with photos: http://holuta-ski-design.blogspot.com/2 ... age-2.html
Very interesting Chris. I'm assuming that the foam would have to be replaced every time? I wonder how much pressure actually needs to be applied to get the topsheet to stick.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

i don't think he replaces the foam. it looks like pretty soft foam that's used for seat padding.