Taking old edges

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

melvs

Taking old edges

Post by melvs »

For my first few skis, I was thinking about just taking the edges out of old skis (they are easy to come by from shops around my area). Is this something that will work, or is it a big risk to take?
-Pat
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

I think that may be good idea. I'm not sure how easy it will be to rip out the edges. But make sure you clean them real well to get any of the epoxy or whatever else there may be off of the edges. A sandblaster would work best but if you don't have one, you can try using a simple sander to clean and abrade the edges. The only bad thing that will happen is that edges come out of your skis. I would try it.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

hey Pat:

that's a good question. my guess is that it would be okay provided you clean off all the epoxy and sand them properly. the key is to provide a very clean surface for the epoxy to bond to the edge material.

take note that old edges would require you to re-shape them, but that's no different than shaping new edge material to contour a desired profile, i suppose. the only one disadvantage that i can think of is the time it would take to remove the old epoxy.

is it worth your time? new edge material is pretty afforadable...

-kam k
melvs

Post by melvs »

Have you guys figured out where to get edge material?

I was talking to a friend who's real good with tools and making shit, and he was talking about just making a mold of the edge and using clamps and a heat gun to shape the edges. Would it be easier just to do it by hand?
-Pat
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

I think Kelvin is currently working on finding some edge dealers and should have some information soon.

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by "making a mold of the edge" but I'm assuming you mean making a mold of the desired bend for the egde? You could do that but bending edges by hand isn't too difficult. Using an edge bender is much easier. If you're friend is pretty good and making stuff I'm sure he can bust out an edge bender for you. A write up on the edge bender is coming very soon.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)

Post by Guest »

hey...waz about ya idea?

we tried already a couple of months ago----> it sucked! it was almost impossible to rip them out+the they also broke..iz also pretty hard to get the epoxy out. but we tried it only with manpower and 'normal' toolz.

but please, tell if could figure out. try to rip out the 80s skis, they have a huge edge

ciao

Post by Guest »

^^*dEFcHILL*

Post by Guest »

It is not such a good idea take the edges out from 80's ski.

You should rather do that:
http://www.pyride.com/dossiers/dossiers ... dossier=18
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

:D :D This link is really cool!! Those guys are f crazy... :D I wish I knew how they ride... pair of hyper-fat swallowtail...made from 2 pairs of oldschool skinny skis..awesome!
Charlie, www.camir.tk
endre

Post by endre »

quite stiff i suppose
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

interesting. one way to recycle old skis i suppose.
*ARMADA*

Post by *ARMADA* »

why not just buy edges from that snowboard web site?
J I B T H E S H I T
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

*ARMADA* wrote:why not just buy edges from that snowboard web site?
no reason not to. that's a good idea.
Idris

Post by Idris »

Removing edges from old skis is quite easy when you've worked out how. It's much easier if you don't mind destroying the ski. I removed many edges to use as repair material for other skis/boards. But also to reshape a pair of old Powder Pluses to negative sidecut

To remove an edge, first remove the base and any reenforecment above the edge - This is the hardest part, by far.
Next score along where the edge meets the sidewall with a sharp knife or similar. Do the same along where the back of the edge is.
Peel up the end of the edge and get a sharp chisel under it. To begin with you have to be quite forcefull, but afer a while it will zip along and the whole edge pops off.