Air Compressor

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

texfrost

Air Compressor

Post by texfrost »

What type of air compressor is generally going to work best for a bag vacuum style ski/snowboard build? What type of compressor would even work on a press? I'm looking to buy one as I can't find anyone who can sacrifice enough time to my projects.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I'm a little confused, are you doing a vacuum bag setup, or a firehose?

If vacuum bag, a dedicated vacuum pump will be better than using one of those compressed air-driven vacuum generators, in my opinion. I think you need a lot of flow to use the vacuum generators.

If you're using a firehose, a small pancake compressor will work just fine, and they're cheap (as far as I know, a pancake compressor won't be enough for one of those vacuum generators). I have a 60 gallon upright Ingersoll-Rand compressor, but I use a lot of air tools, and its always nice having a seemingly unlimited supply of air for blowing things off, etc.
texfrost

Post by texfrost »

Well, building water ski's and snowboards, a hose press will not be wide enough, so I have to use a vacuum bag. I will look into a dedicated vacuum pump now however.

Though, would that still work once I move out of the proto stage and into using a press? I have to think long term as well.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

If you think you'll ever use air tools for anything else (impact wrench, paint sprayer, etc) buy yourself a good 60 gallon compressor that will last you a lifetime. Expensive, but it will cover you on all fronts (including one of those vacuum generators)

If you're just going to be vacuum bagging boards, and then moving onto pressing boards (but no air tools) I'd say get a dedicated vacuum pump now, then buy a small pancake compressor later. Both of those together will be less than a large compressor. You don't need a big tank or a lot of CFM doing a firehose press, but you do with one of the compressor-driven vacuum generators... Also, I think (I could be wrong on this) those vacuum generators can't get a full vacuum like a vacuum pump will.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

texfrost wrote:Well, building water ski's and snowboards, a hose press will not be wide enough, so I have to use a vacuum bag. I will look into a dedicated vacuum pump now however.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

no offense intended, btw.
texfrost

Post by texfrost »

If I'm missing something, you could just explain it.
ggardner90

Post by ggardner90 »

there is no limit to the width of the press you make for a firehose style press. lots of guys on here make snowboards and waterskis with fire hose. check the journals for ideas.

ps the guys on this forum are extremely helpful and knowledgeable but if you ask a question that can be easily found...you will get used to it

keep up the good work and don't get discouraged
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

ggardner90 wrote: ps the guys on this forum are extremely helpful and knowledgeable but if you ask a question that can be easily found...you will get used to it
Ha, it's true :)

Yes you can press any width you want with a firehose, how do you think the pros do it? (hint: they use firehoses).

What you need is a cattrack :)
TeflonKen

Post by TeflonKen »

I am in the process of building my pneumatic press and had a few quick questions about the compressors people are using?
1) Will an oil-free compressor suffice or for longevity is oil lubricated best?
2) How important is tank capacity i.e. will a less than 10 gallon tank work or is a 25+ gallon compressor needed?

Thanks for all your info and help

Ken
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I used to use a pancake compressor (6gal tank). It worked fine. I bought a bigger one (25gal) last summer..... because it was sale :-) (from TSC $179.) But a small compressor will do the trick. Once the hoses inflate, the compressor will only kick-in again if you have small leaks (which I do).
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

If you use a vacuum set up you can use a very simple pump. (See pic). Its cheap and it works. Payed about $150...

Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
Skammy

Post by Skammy »

I've got this vac pump and I like it: http://www.veneersupplies.com/products/ ... built.html

for a compressor I'm going with just a gast pump.. no tank since I don't need one