Nordic skis - Base material

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

hallvardaase

Nordic skis - Base material

Post by hallvardaase »

I have a friend interested in building nordic touring skis ( fjell-ski for norwegians or other scandinavians).

He would like to have the base waxless. I am quite sure that the waxless bases are made from regular bases and the pattern is cut by a milling machine.

I dont think it is a good idea, for several reasons. But I promised to check around if it was possible to build nordic touring skis with waxless bases....

So, anyone who have tried building nordic touring skis? And was it sucessfull?

(I now understand that my english skiing vocabulary only apply to telemark and alpine skis, but hopefully you will understand what I men:-)

- Hallvard
karmav

Post by karmav »

I build alpine touring skis. The base is milled with a router jig after pressing and grinding. They work real well on low to moderate slopes but I still need to use skins on steeper terrain. You can click on my web page below to see them.
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

karmav wrote:I build alpine touring skis. The base is milled with a router jig after pressing and grinding. They work real well on low to moderate slopes but I still need to use skins on steeper terrain. You can click on my web page below to see them.
Cool Karmav. My friend was asking me the other day if this could be done (for cross country skis) and I was thinking about a jig set at an angle to create some scales. Looks like it has been done before... by you. I love the GO•AT base name.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I have cut the base with a router also. Same results, good on low angle touring, skins for climbing. To improve on this I would look to do a positive pattern. May gain a little in climbing angle. Only problem I have with the router base is where you cut the base becomes hard to seal up and then while touring it has a tendency for the snow to stick.
ra
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

It looks like Voile-USA is doing this on their skis now too. At least this model which has a waxless base.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Yeah there are a few mfgr's that are doing this. That one is a "positive" pattern (I think). You will get a little steeper climbing angle with these.
ra
vinman

Post by vinman »

Instead of fish scale could you just route all the way across the base at an angle to create a v channel and then put the channels like 1-1.5 cm apart?
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Sure you can. However I think you would still need to put some type of break (?) in the pattern so you will have lateral stability for tracking and climbing purposes. I think I have seen them in the fashion as you speek of (straight cut across) with notches or "v's" cut into the straight portion. Hope that makes sense.
ra
hallvardaase

Post by hallvardaase »

Thanks!

My friend with the nordci ski plan will be happy:-)

How do you set up the router-jig for this? And what kind of a router bit are you using?
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Here are some pic of the shim set up that I did on my router. There are three screws that hold the plastic foot onto the router base. I loosten them and insert a shim between the base and the plastic foot and tighten the screws. Now the base is at an angle to the bit. Place a guide across the skis and cut to the guide in multiple locations across the width of the ski. Relocate the guide and repeat....
hallvardaase

Post by hallvardaase »

Looks like I can set it up pretty easy.

Thanks!
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Yes the set up is easy. I would suggest that you do a sample test until you get it just how you want it. easier if you mess up on a sample than on the ski base.
ra