no one wants to grind my skis!

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

BLOODTYPEZX10R

Post by BLOODTYPEZX10R »

Not rebating area for edges will likely cause a problem just at the outer 14-15mm. In addition to that you may also find that you have air pockets occuring along this area due to resin flowing to base and way from cavity created by edge teeth.
Did you read my thread? I do rebate the teeth area-the concavity is eliminated if I heat the board to cure temp after board has cured-this is NOT caused by edge teeth, it IS thermal expansion of the base during proper cure procedures.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

If you're having a concave or base high outcome, try slowing up your initial heating to allow all components to "swell" evenly before the resin kicks.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

OnDeck wrote: And the grinder is correct, he could really mess up a stone with a non-true base, and the way those things cost gridners are rarely ready to take a risk.
He may be correct, but also clueless, maybe?

Stone grinders should only be used for the last few passes to add structure to the base.

I can't imagine a shop only having a stone grinder and not having a belt sander. The truth is he probably doesn't feel like spending an hour on the belt sander to get the bases flat. Can you blame him? Especially since it's edge high, which will wear out the belts faster than if they were base high.