Softening veneer

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinman

Softening veneer

Post by vinman »

Has anyone used commercial veneer softener? I have som Eucalyptus veneer that seems a little stiff and brittle. I was thinking of trying the commercial veneer softeners or some of the other techniques you can find on the web but I was really wondering about any adverse effects on the adhesion of the epoxy caused by using them.

They seem to just be water, alcohol and glycerine. Any info from anyone would be helpful.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

We used to use steam to soften timber but it is adding water to it, I guess you will need to do some testing and see if the epoxy still sticks to it. What thickness is your veneer? I guess if its really dry steaming it a bit would just bring it back to the same moisture content as a piece that wasnt so dry in the first place?
vinman

Post by vinman »

I use veneers that are 1/42 of an inch thick. The web site says it is compatible with most adhesives but I've have an meal out to them to ask about it.

I was actually thinking that the moisture of the epoxy and the heat of pressing would be enough to flatten this stuff but I'm not sure at the same time.

I think I could dry things well enough by just putting the sheets between some wood with some paper and use my heat blankets to cook it a bit.....
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

That is pretty thin, are you worried about it splitting when the hose fills up?
vinman

Post by vinman »

1/42 is pretty standard when it comes to veneer. This eucalyptus veneer is just stiffer than most other veneer I've used. So yes I'm a little concerned it
Might split or crack or more so that it just won't flatten nicely, since it is a little wavy. Most other veneers are very flexible and it is not an issue. I'll see what joe from veneer supplies dot com says about any adhesion issues.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Just got a response from joe. He says there should be no adhesion issues after the softener dries fully. He also says the eucalyptus is pretty brittle and will need the softener.
jono

Post by jono »

I''ve used 1/42" maple and Japanese ash veneers for topsheets and tip fill. The ash was brittle but the even pressure of the press kept it from breaking.