Good epoxy

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Carty

Good epoxy

Post by Carty »

I have been reading this site for a while and have gained some very helpful information. So, I thought I would give a little back. I have been useing PTM&W's Aerypoxy to build boards and so far it is performing great. Acouring to a source outside of PTM&W it outperforms any of the QCM heat cure epoxies at a room tempature cure. (21 C) Acording to PTM&W it's performance can be increased with a heat cure. The person I spoke to there also told me that the rule of thumb with epoxies is for every 10 degrees celsius rise in temp the cure time is cut in half. The aeropoxy has a 24 hour cure at room temp, after which I have been letting the boards sit for a week in a consistantly heated room. Like i said before, so far it has been performing great. While we have had a stelar early season here in Nelson B.C. ( 240cm of base, a 50+ cm day on friday) there are still alot of early season hazards, rock shots, airs onto barely conceiled stumps, strait lines across alder because somtimes its the only way, as well as piles of skies and boards in the backs of pickups during truck drops. The boards are all taking it great, no signs of delam, no signs of fatigue. And because these are the first boards I have made, and was using a vacuum set up, they have plenty of inconsitancies, so I can not claim that the way they are holding up has anything to do with my personal skill. Any way the aeropoxy is a bit pricey, $109.00 canadian for a 1 gallon kit, but it is still cheaper than a heat blanket. PTM&W has lists of supliers on there web site.