Big Kam's latest skis

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

G-man

Big Kam's latest skis

Post by G-man »

Big Kam,

Grande Kokoa's... lookin' good. Can't wait to hear about them. The graphics look very clean in the photos. Clear topsheet?.. (not natural UHMW). The skis look to be pretty long... or is that a lens effect?

G-man
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

hi G-man:

yes, another pair. i used a vacuum press for the first time, and it works so-so. the main challenge is getting a good seal. i tried to keep the graphics simple and clean, cut-out letters on top of thin cloth (yellow and light brown). for the core i used poplar and good 'ol Lowe's Douglas fir. the skis are relatively stiff, but they should be fun.... the photo on the front of SB.com does makes them appear long, but they come in around 170cm. i'm putting together a detailed write-up to post soon. hopefully this weekend Little K and i will go out to test. oh, Little K also has a new ride.... stay tuned.

big K
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

i've written a few words about the Kokoas. at the bottom there's a video.

http://www.skibuilders.com/gallery/GrandeKokoa.shtml
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

bigKam,

What kind of fabric did you use to get that nice finish for the color? I have been trying different fabrics on my last couple pairs departing away from flannel, and I have been getting some discoloration due to the fabric color bleeding. Is it flannel or something thinner and more dense?
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Mongo:

i did not use flannel, but have used it in the past. i find that flannel absorbs quite a bit of epoxy. instead, i've settled on thin fabrics, nothing fancy of course as they cost between 1.29 to 3.99 per yard. i haven't noticed color bleeding, but the finished color is darker and deeper than the color of the original fabric. have you considered pre-washing the fabric to minimize the color bleeding?

if you want, email me your address and i'll send you some of the yellow and brown that's leftover from the Kokoas.

the next time i'm at the fabric store, i'll try to find out exactly what fabric i'm using and update you.