Twizz 2012/2013

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

OAC

Post by OAC »

You're just showing off now! ;)
carnold

Post by carnold »

Hi
Try page 12 and pop them in the CNC. No furry bits!!

https://www.onsrud.com/files/pdf/OC-12- ... atalog.pdf

C.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Nice templates. I see you even have the bump out for the 3/4 wrap, nice touch.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

OAC wrote:You're just showing off now! ;)
Hey, if I've got the CNC, I might as well take advantage in every way I can!

I should have cut my piggy into the templates too! :)

Picked up a bunch of bamboo today since I was all out, and I have a friend from high school who is a graphic designer coming up with some graphics for me (I told him I didn't have anything in mind for what I wanted... my only requirement was that it be "epic"... I have no idea what I'm in for). I'm hoping if he can get me some graphics in the next week or so, then I should be able to get everything ready to press both pairs (the honeycomb, and the normal ones) in a few weeks time. If I can't figure out a good bonding process for the honeycomb, I may just cave and fork over the money for a couple of the foam cores from BlankSlate.

I also visited K2 today, since it's just down the street from my work. I hadn't been inside the new place since they moved from Vashon, and hadn't visited since I worked there. The new place is amazing, and they're doing some really cool stuff. I really miss working there :(
uncski

Post by uncski »

Longtime lurker, but am really intrigued by the honeycomb. I saw that Salomon added the honeycomb to their tips and tails in the Rocker 2 last season.

I think they've added the honeycomb to replace the tip/tail spacers to provide more strength through the tip without adding too much weight. Not sure what they're doing to prevent too much epoxy being trapped inside though.

Just thinking about using honeycomb in the core that way would make me think those thin strips of bamboo on the outside of the honeycomb would be subject to more pressure during a flex. Of course I'm probably completely off, but just thinking as I type.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

when hearing the word "epic" Chuck Norris comes to mind ;)
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

chrismp wrote:when hearing the word "epic" Chuck Norris comes to mind ;)
Ha! When I told my buddy "epic" he said something along the lines of "you mean like Vikings with light sabers riding raptors?" I think I'm in good hands :)
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I HAD THOSE TOYS AS A CHILD!!!!!!!!

In fact, my parents still have the t-rex with the thing that attaches to its back. My nephew has been playing with it. I can't remember the name of the toys...
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Ah yes, Dino Riders!!! :D

barnboy

honeycomb - Last-a-foam

Post by barnboy »

Hey twizz...

I'm lucky enough to have a fair amount of both honeycomb and last-a-foam lying around to play with. I remember being told that the honeycomb was tougher to machine, so this week I started playing around a bit with the last-a-foam with some "spare time" (hahaha).

Anyhow, I found the last-a-foam equally difficult to bond to. I'm whipping up some mixed material cores for a non-lift service hiker prototype pair. I'll throw some photos up later in the week.

I'll check with my priceless resource about bonding issues with honeycomb and let you know what he has to offer.

Killer looking product by the way, congrats again on the CNC build too.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Awesome, let me know what you learn!

Would love to see what you're experimenting with too!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Change of plans on the honeycomb... I'm too worried about bonding issues.

Instead I ordered some of the foam cores from BlankSlate, and I'll give those a shot. I'll save the honeycomb for another day.

In the meantime, I've got the normal bamboo cores profiled and ready to go (profiled on the CNC with the sidewalls already attached - no issues whatsoever!!!).

Just waiting on the graphics now from my friend, I've seen a rough sketch... and it's pretty awesome! :)
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

twizzstyle wrote:Change of plans on the honeycomb... I'm too worried about bonding issues.

Instead I ordered some of the foam cores from BlankSlate, and I'll give those a shot. I'll save the honeycomb for another day.

In the meantime, I've got the normal bamboo cores profiled and ready to go (profiled on the CNC with the sidewalls already attached - no issues whatsoever!!!).

Just waiting on the graphics now from my friend, I've seen a rough sketch... and it's pretty awesome! :)
How about honeycomb filled with foam?
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

What about machining the honeycomb pattern, maybe a little larger, into your core? So basically the spots that you have cut out for the honeycomb. After that is all cut out, wrap the core with veneer top and bottom to keep epoxy out. A core with hollow spots, more or less.

Make sense?

One of my custom skwals has a really funky core layup that is wrapped in veneer and carbon...i gotta take some pics...really funky layup compared to what is the 'norm'.