Edge benders - group buy

For non-commerical sales of materials, equipment, and resources related to ski/snowboard building

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Epic Planks

Edge benders - group buy

Post by Epic Planks »

Hey all,

We're having a few edge benders fabbed up by a shop in Holland MI, following the Ski Builders "Bending an Edge Bender" writeup (won't let me link the URL with under two posts). The tool will also have an additional two vertical bore holes so you can bolt it down to your workbench.

Not looking to make any money on them - the fab shop could just do it cheaper if we ordered a minimum of 5, so that's what we ordered. They should be done by the end of next week. If anyone is interested, the price will be $75 plus shipping, which includes all of the bearings, bolts, etc. I'm sure they could also make more than 5 if there is enough demand, but I would have to ask.

If you have any questions feel free to PM or email me at brian AT epicplanks DOT com.

Thanks,
Brian
Epic Planks Ski Co
FlamingYeti

Still for sale?

Post by FlamingYeti »

I know this was more than 2 years ago, but is one of these still for sale by chance?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

There are MUCH better ways to bend edges than the one in the how-to section. Do some searching for edge benders, you'll find the one based on a cheap drill press vice with three roller dies.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

i'm gonna build a hand powered edge bender in the next few months or so when time frees up that will blow minds. Because I. Hate. Bending. Edges.

Maybe some of you can do this in 3minutes. But for me it has to be an exact, exact bend, no other way to ensure delam/pullouts.
Doug
powbrewer

Post by powbrewer »

twizzstyle wrote:There are MUCH better ways to bend edges than the one in the how-to section. Do some searching for edge benders, you'll find the one based on a cheap drill press vice with three roller dies.
No doubt, we haven't used one like we built from the how to section since 2010.
Epic Planks Handmade Skis
http://www.epicplanks.com

Our Ski Builders Journal:
viewtopic.php?t=3748
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I've started using some modified tile nippers... at first I was doing most of the bending with my 3-die roller bender and fine tuning with the nippers, but now I'm finding I can almost do it faster, and just as good, with the nippers alone. And that's like a $12 solution!
FlamingYeti

Post by FlamingYeti »

Yeah, we decided to go with hand bending. I posted this a while ago thinking that the edge bending mechanism was crucial. After looking around more, I decided twas not. Thanks anyway though for the insight.
holmtech

Post by holmtech »

+1 for the nippers solution. The cheep long handle nippers from Harbor Freight work well too. The long handle helps, and being that they're cheep they're not difficult to grind the "nips" to the shape you want.