Pure carbon skis?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Upper Left Coast

Post by Upper Left Coast »

it looks like the triax fiber from hp textiles is 50k fabric (if google translated it correctly) which is way up there. I've seen 3 to 12 k fabric mostly. Does anybody have an opinion as to the importance of this spec?

3k = 3000 filaments per tow, 6k = 6000etc.

If I may have a stab at my own question, the weight per yard measurement would have more importance for us and the modulus (k) has more to do with thickness of the cloth since a lower modulus could be woven into thinner fabric.

i guess i'm wondering if anybody knows which is typically used in the ski industry or if it doesn't really matter.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Upper Left Coast wrote:it looks like the triax fiber from hp textiles is 50k fabric (if google translated it correctly) which is way up there. I've seen 3 to 12 k fabric mostly. Does anybody have an opinion as to the importance of this spec?

3k = 3000 filaments per tow, 6k = 6000etc.

If I may have a stab at my own question, the weight per yard measurement would have more importance for us and the modulus (k) has more to do with thickness of the cloth since a lower modulus could be woven into thinner fabric.

i guess i'm wondering if anybody knows which is typically used in the ski industry or if it doesn't really matter.
A lot of questions I don't know the answer to :D
Thou I do know that if you press the english flag at the main site you get the entire site, including the shop in english.

The triax at HP is not really a fabric, more like fibers in three directions, held together with some thread.. Does that explain the 50k, or do I missunderstand the concept entierly?
Upper Left Coast

Post by Upper Left Coast »

yeah so i thought i found some triaxial carbon fiber on ebay and it says its 3k triax and doesnt give a weight. turns out its only 3.8 oz fabric or something. i guess the lower the modulus, the lighter the fabric will be in most cases so the 50k stuff from hp is probably sweet.
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

Here is a Donek build video that uses only unidirection carbon fiber for fiber reinforcement.

kylea

Post by kylea »

I highly doubt my picture will work, but these are our latest carbon skis. 185 cm, 120-105-120, symmetrical, camber under foot, rockered/tapered tip and tail. Weighing in at 7.5lbs. As always, inspired by kittens.

troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

Nice!!
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

kylea wrote:I highly doubt my picture will work, but these are our latest carbon skis. 185 cm, 120-105-120, symmetrical, camber under foot, rockered/tapered tip and tail. Weighing in at 7.5lbs. As always, inspired by
Beautiful skis!

There is so much I want to ask but generaly, how is working with carbon? Do you use triaxial carbon? No fiberglass? What fabric weight? :)

I hope ours turn out good, but yours seem perfect!
kylea

Post by kylea »

Sonny wrote:
kylea wrote:I highly doubt my picture will work, but these are our latest carbon skis. 185 cm, 120-105-120, symmetrical, camber under foot, rockered/tapered tip and tail. Weighing in at 7.5lbs. As always, inspired by
Beautiful skis!

There is so much I want to ask but generaly, how is working with carbon? Do you use triaxial carbon? No fiberglass? What fabric weight? :)

I hope ours turn out good, but yours seem perfect!
Thanks! We use a +/-45° 9 oz biax mixed with some varying widths and weights of uni. These unfortunately have a fiberglass binding mat, but we will be doing away with that in the future for something lighter. Working with carbon is not much more difficult than fiberglass. It is more difficult to see if it is wet out completely and the uni likes to fray a lot. The most difficult part I found was finding a source for +/-45° biax. If anybody knows a supplier in the U.S., please let me know.
Cornice

Post by Cornice »

Jeeeepers that Donek board has got to be heavy!

Have you tried fiberglasssupply.com for carbon? They have an ok selection...
kylea

Post by kylea »

Cornice wrote:Jeeeepers that Donek board has got to be heavy!

Have you tried fiberglasssupply.com for carbon? They have an ok selection...
Fiberglass supply appears to only have 0/90 weaves.
powderho

Post by powderho »

kylea wrote: If anybody knows a supplier in the U.S., please let me know.
Your in Salt Lake? Composite One carries Vectorply. They make a couple of different bias carbon fabrics. You will probably have to buy an entire roll though.
kylea

Post by kylea »

powderho wrote:
kylea wrote: If anybody knows a supplier in the U.S., please let me know.
Your in Salt Lake? Composite One carries Vectorply. They make a couple of different bias carbon fabrics. You will probably have to buy an entire roll though.
I have been talking with Composites One and NA Composites for the last few weeks trying to see what I can get. They have both been less than helpful in getting me anything unfortunately. Thus far, I have had the best luck with Sigmatex, but they don't stock much in their California location.
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

Found them they are in wisconsin.
http://compositeenvisions.com/
kylea

Post by kylea »

I spoke with composite envisions a while ago. They aren't weavers and don't have anything in a useable weight.
troublemaker

Post by troublemaker »

Looks like they have some 28oz biax for $14 per yard.