Fiberglass in this situation?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Alex_Blais

Fiberglass in this situation?

Post by Alex_Blais »

Hey guys. I'm brigning you a question on something different. I build snowskates, single level boards. Single levels are made out of wood (like a skateboard) or plastic. I'm all set for my wooden snowskates but I'm having the same problem every company has had with plastic snowskates.

When they're brand new, they ride great. But in no time, the board looses it's shape. (Tail becomes flatter and flatter.)

Here is what I was thinking. If I used a fiberglass layer on top of the snowskate, what would it change?

I'm trying to keep the same board feel (flexibility) but I want the board to keep it's shape.

What would you suggest?
Ambition Snowskates
www.ambitionsnowskate.com
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

I think fiberglass should strengthen your boards and if you used plain weave it might not affect the flex too much.

Are your boards laminated plywood? Perhaps the bond between layers is breaking down or the fibers are breaking and you are losing shape.

-kelvin
Alex_Blais

Post by Alex_Blais »

I was talking about plastic snowskates. These are completly made out of plastic. Problem is that the plastic tends to loose its tail/nose curvature with time (as you always put pressure downards on them to perform tricks). I am simply wondering how I could make the board keep their shape longer without altering the flex.
Ambition Snowskates
www.ambitionsnowskate.com