Printing on topsheet with epoxy based ink

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mikic1

Printing on topsheet with epoxy based ink

Post by mikic1 »

Hi,

I just wanted to hear if anybody had experience with epoxy ink based printing method on the topsheet.

More specific, my question is if I can on the long term expect to see delam issues between the ink and the topsheet. I have some samples, where the paint is printed on the inside, topsheet is flame and corona treated TPU. It feels to me like the paint is easy to scrape of. A bit worrying.

Thanks in advanced for comments.
Cheers
M
prospectsnow

Post by prospectsnow »

hmm before I was building my own I had some boards built with a ptex top that was directly printed on. I don't see delam issues.

Working with it on bases today the paint does come off easily, but when laid up there is nothing to scratch the paint because it is concealed in the board.

If the material is delaming then scraping off... Use more bonding strip?
What material is bonding to that has the delam problem?
We have snowboard and kiteboard build kits!
https://prtahoe.com/collections/build-kits
mikic1

Post by mikic1 »

Hi,

I am using TPU/PMA top-sheet material. It is printed from inside. Solid colors, large areas.

The paint can be almost peeled off easy. I did a test and epoxy matrix binds to the paint but the paint does not stick to the top-sheet and the topsheet comes off...

I am not sure if the material needs to be another type, or sanded one, or even might it be the ink that the printing company uses that is not right?

cheers,
M
Raccoon

Post by Raccoon »

It looks like your topsheet material is to old! Corona treatment is good for 4-6 months. Try to bond a sample of your topsheet without ink.
What kind of epoxy ink did you use?

Julien
www.evasionkiteboards.com
prospectsnow

Post by prospectsnow »

i can't say I know for sure.
Sanding it sounds like it would cause the ink to travel or make the material less clear.

The setup I saw printed onto base material, I assume it is similar. they had heaters that warmed the base before and after the material came out of the printer.

Maybe that helps the ink seep into the material more for a better bond?
We have snowboard and kiteboard build kits!
https://prtahoe.com/collections/build-kits
mikic1

Post by mikic1 »

Hi,

the ink is epoxy based and cured with UV light. I dont know more.

No heat is used. It might be that this is the issues, might be that without heat the epoxy ink does not stick properly to the top sheet....not sure what to do.