To rabbit before or after core profiling

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Yes, go have a drink, you're missing a lot :)

After a few drinks, grab a ski at cut it in half and take a look at the cross section. Things will make a lot more sense :)

Don't include the VDS thickness in the rabbit, you only need to do the edge teeth.

I don't do any rabbit at all anymore, because I have a 3" wide strip of CF under the core, and that does a pretty good job of filling the void. I still always have base convexity issues, so any rabbit on the core/sidewalls would just make it worse. Saves me some time not having to do this :)

When I made my wife's skis, which didn't have the CF, I profiled the sidewalls and the core seperately. I just profiled the sidewalls slightly thinner (the thickness of the edge teeth), and then put it all together in the layup. No rabbit needed (but it requires you're able to profile the sidewalls on their own)
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

After an eggnog and some craken rum...
I feel like an idiot. Thanks twiz.
I was getting way ahead of myself. Looking back, I was upside down. Onward and upward!
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

in one of the old thread someone used tablesaw and dado to make rabbit. I think this might be a safer method compared to router table. If only I can find that thread :(
Last edited by MadRussian on Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

skimann20 wrote:After an eggnog and some craken rum...
one old Russian saying "let's drink some vodka and think sober" ;)
falls

Post by falls »

Dr: Iggy uses UHMWPE sidewalls on their production skis. These are profiled thinner than the core by the edge rebate depth that we would use then attached to the core by (I think) double sided tape +/- staples to tip spacer before layup.
The sidewalls cover the whole edge + teeth width and so their thinner profile acts as the edge rebate. Iggy has always been of the opinion that edge rebate (or this thinner sidewall profile) is really important in good production.

On a side note if people don't mind to keep the ski building related questions/chat about any pics I link from social media on here at skibuilders rather than on the social media. I don't want to swamp any guys with technical questions on a media that it more designed for the lucky masses who actually just get to buy skis not labour over them!!! Thanks
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
FrontierSkis

Post by FrontierSkis »

We do our rabbiting before we profile the core using an old skate board wheel as our guide for rabbiting our edge's. Works perfectly, just drew a straight line on the router table as a guide to follow.