Carbon vs glass weight

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Dtrain

Carbon vs glass weight

Post by Dtrain »

So........Ive read alot about carbon. Am I in the right mind thinking that if I found a acceptable triax carbon cloth I would want to use 1/3rd the weight of glass I usually use to achieve the same flex.

On that same note. All the Triax Carbon I can find has the same weighted fiber orientation in all directions. Does anbody know where to get some that has more oriented in the 0 degree and less in the 45/45, and is sold by the yard/meter?

I know i could buy uni and 45/45 and stack em'. But, im looking for the easier option, and probably cheaper (if the stuff exists)
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

During my searching I found it hard enough to find any triax CF, I can't imagine how hard it will be to find unevenly weighted stuff...

Not to say there isn't a manufacturer or it though.
maximegb5

Post by maximegb5 »

I think the easiest way to achieve this is by using a layer of biaxial and adding a layer of Uni. You would be able to get the combination you want, only limited by the cloths you find. As for the strength, I have heard 2.5X, but I guess it varies o the exact type/manufacturer of the carbon and glass compared.