Hot box

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Look great!
gerryrig

Post by gerryrig »

The controller worked perfectly.
Kept the box at any temperature needed.
petemorgan(pmoskico)

Post by petemorgan(pmoskico) »

Can you post some pictures of the ski press inside of the box?
gerryrig

Post by gerryrig »

The press does not go in the box.
I remove the skis from the press after about six hours of room temp cure and then post cure in the box. Its a long cure process and I have only cured one pair this way so can't really say how it will work in the long run. The skis did come out well cured so time will tell on durability and longgevity.

I suppose one could build a larger version so a press could be put inside but it would have to be rather large.
gerryrig

Post by gerryrig »

So, I have four or five days on the cambered skis. It took a while to get used to them but I like their performance better with each day. With the lousy snow conditions here in Colorado I really haven't had a chance to test them in off piest conditions though.
PTTR

Post by PTTR »

Hmm

I havnt been postcuring my skis earlier but for the latest two builds I ve done kind of a postcure outside the press. To speed up the curing process of a topp coat of epoxy I put the skis in my sauna (dry sauna) and heated it to the same temperatur that I use for pressing, around 80 C.
Both pairs delaminated in the tipps during this process. I called up entropy resin and they told me to never post cure above half the temperatur of the pressing if the skis were not in the press. He explained why, but I never really understood. Something about epoxy crystals. Anyway, I'm happy to get an answere and a cause for the delamination. Might be different with another epoxy?

the skis were fully cured before they went into the sauna.
gerryrig

Post by gerryrig »

Of my three pairs of skis the post cured pair are the only pair that have not delaminated. Altough the other two pair just have minor delamination in the tip it is still frustrating. I am using Resin Research epoxy and on their website they recomend a high temp post cure.

BTW, I got my first topsheet graphics back from Miller Studios and it looks great. I can hardly wait to build another pair of skis for myself so I cn use it. The company I work for celebrated its fifty year aniversery in 2012 so I am building a fifty year commemorative ski for the president of the company to be presented to him at the anual ski trip to Vail in Feburary. I should receive that graphics sheet in a week or so.