SIA - Denver 2013 Observations

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Jekul

SIA - Denver 2013 Observations

Post by Jekul »

So I was fortunate enough to go to the show today for a couple of hours. I thought I'd share some of my observations, but they are by no means comprehensive. I did run into COsufer and Grace Skis while I was there and had great conversations with both of them.

* I observed a solid presence of small ski builders and board builders (I have no reference if there were more/less than previous years as this was my first time attending)
* There are some people that have poured TONS of money into their product, but the result isn't all that impressive compared to the some of the skis/boards I've seen recently from some of the people on here.
* This company had a pretty neat product, especially for those who do night skiing and promotional stuff. Probably most applicable for their longboards, but I could also see some application in b/c stuff (night skinning, avalanche rescue) http://lightbohrd.com/
* I saw a lot of split boards (I knew skiing was the better sport to stick with ;)
* Lastly, it seems like board/ski innovation has been pretty incremental the past few years. I didn't see anything incredibly different, eye popping, or truly "new". It's a great place for the little guy to invent, patent, and get into the industry. Now if only I had an idea...
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Good info!
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

did you take any photos?
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

I saw a video from the SIA about a Burton/Voilé/Spark splitboard ! I was impressed !
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

ben_mtl wrote:I saw a video from the SIA about a Burton/Voilé/Spark splitboard ! I was impressed !
this one:

looks really cool.
Jekul

Post by Jekul »

Sorry guys, I only have my cell phone and determinted that those pictures wouldn't really be worth it.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

I wish I could find these insert channels somewhere.