Suggestions on reducing bending in steel press?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

petemorgan(pmoskico)

Suggestions on reducing bending in steel press?

Post by petemorgan(pmoskico) »

Any suggestions on how to improve my 2x6 steel tubing/ threaded rod reinforcement in the middle of the press?

Initially I didn’t even use these reinforcements, but my long tubing was bending dramatically, like up to about 1 inch of deflection, but it wasn’t going past its plastic deformation point and it would come back to its original shape after pressing. It was pretty cool to witness, but it was giving skis reverse camber which was not desired, so I added the re-inforcing 2x6s and that helped reduce bending. (I also added an insert so I can make normal camber skis too, (off topic))

The threaded ready rod bends, and the 2x6s bend, and the reinforcing angle iron bends, and I have bent the shiit out of grade 8 washers. I have replaced the ready rod multiple times. This is not a good practice. I am clearly not loading the 2x6s correctly, how can I improve this? any suggestions?

http://precisionmotions.files.wordpres ... 30293.jpg
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I have a couple of suggestions...

- Turn the 2x6 guys on edge, so the wide face is vertical. This will give you a much larger shear web

- The angle iron is only helping a little bit. Some u-channel or square bar would be better... but if you put the 2x6's on edge, that shorter horizontal face won't be as likely to buckle, so you probably won't need anything

- Close off the end of the beams by welding a rectangle of steel in place

- Use larger threaded rod.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Does placing the restraining clamps (2x6 steel tubing etc) equip-distant along the length of the press help?
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

1) weld U-channel on each side of main frame going long ways 4 ea altogether

2) for cross braces use two U-channels welded together like this ][ with piece of pipe in between of them. Diameter big enough for threaded rod going through. One on each end and one in the middle if single ski press 2 in the middle if double ski press. Total minimum of 4

3) use thicker threaded rod. I would use 3/4" threaded rod

U-channel isn't expensive. I paid in local surplus yard $20 for 3" U-channel 8' long

4) for washers use 1/2" flat stock metal, 4x4 square should be sufficient and drill hole

my approach if in doubt thicker steel and overbuilt
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

1-Use grade 8 threaded rod larger diameter.
2- Your tube steel (connected to rod) needs to be flipped 90degrees and a plate welded on the ends.

3-More support in the middle of press.
4-The tube steel making up the bottom press cavity surface need to be flipped 90 degrees also.

5-You have a really weak point at your end supports( the small tube going thru the large tube looks like it is taking alot of the load.) it also must be 90degrees & Its size is too small IMHO.

rectangular tube should not take a load in that direction
~ Matt
Idris

Post by Idris »

What pressure are you running?

I see many people running much higher pressure than they need.

If your ski components are the right shape then you need enough pressure to firmly hold them together while the epoxy hardens?

Not as some of major manufactures are doing with hard molds , lots of heat, lots of pressure to force things to be the shape you want.

There are plenty of very nice skis made here with vacuum presses, go for double that, maybe triple but hot high PSI just because you got a pneumatic press.

Just a little food for thought ;)