woodcore surface preference for best bond strength?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

kungpowd

woodcore surface preference for best bond strength?

Post by kungpowd »

Just curious as to wether some of you folks have found any serious difference in bond strength with a sanded or planed woodcore surface?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I haven't found any difference.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Literature says a planed surface leave the pores open to allow the glue to penetrate. Sanding with less than 100 grit destroys the pores and may be less strong.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Vinman wrote:Literature says a planed surface leave the pores open to allow the glue to penetrate. Sanding with less than 100 grit destroys the pores and may be less strong.
After router profiler I will need to make couple light passes with sender. What's the best grit for sandpaper to make final pass?
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I have used 80 grit to finish without issue
vinman

Post by vinman »

I use a planer so this is just my opinion based on what I've read. It probably doesn't make a ton if difference.. But if it were me I'd use 100 grit for a finish pass after profiling.

Reseasrch and Read for yourself http://www.cedengineering.com/upload/Ad ... terial.pdf
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Found this paper yesterday. I think the answers are fairly complex, but if you assume best practice is a core with a low moisture content, planned and the wood within the core is partly chosen because it is porous, then you should start to optimise your results.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf20 ... art001.pdf

I would factor in the ramp rate at which the press is ramped through the temperature range at which the epoxy/resin is at its lowest viscosity.