Base material treated both sides

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

nearls

Base material treated both sides

Post by nearls »

Got some base material a few months back and hadn't opened the package. Opened it up today to find that it is treated on both sides. It is iso speed I believe and the same thickness as the last stuff I used. Why would it be treated both sides? Can I still use it as base material? Will it be harder to sand off the epoxy and finish the base? Thanks.
vinman

Post by vinman »

The Isospeed stuff is abraded on both sides. Works fine. Epoxy on the base should be minimal. Try covering your bases with clear contact paper.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

I suspect they do this to avoid human error. They are set up to supply to large commercial companies, so what you are loading the cassette at speed you don't want to put it in the wrong side up.
olie25

Post by olie25 »

oww i have been looking for both side factory braided material, i want to use it for tip fill, try and slim down are tips and tail. is this the stuff miller has for sale?
olie25

Post by olie25 »

oww i have been looking for both side factory braided material, i want to use it for tip fill, try and slim down are tips and tail. is this the stuff miller has for sale?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

no the stuff from miller is abraded one side only.
just sand it.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
nearls

Post by nearls »

Pretty sure I got my double abraded from miller studio.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

the rad thing about abraided both sides is, especially with your first few snowboards/skis, is that during finishing, any spots that are low that cant be hit with grinder/sander, are already sanded. Unless, of course, if there's epoxy pooled in that low spot. Consider your base pre finished and ready for wax ;)
Doug