Question about handpainted graphics

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rsotak

Question about handpainted graphics

Post by rsotak »

Was thinking of doing some screen or hand printed graphics on my first set of skis. What ink have you used and how did you prep the graphics layer once the image is dry?
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Nazdar 2 part epoxy inks. screen or paint, let sit for a 4 day minimum before layup (as in the instructions) :D . if not covering entire topsheeet/base with art or backfill, then flame prior to painting.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

water based acrylic paint (the one you buy at hardware stores) works really well. i've painted whole bases with that stuff and it doesn't delam at all. good availability, cheap and easy to use. if you use a glossy finish then you should sand it prior to layup.
g-ram

Post by g-ram »

I use acrylic paint on rice paper. Put it on top of your upper composite layer and overlay with thin fiberglass veil.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

if doing base inside, let sit for a good week.

Ive gotten prints backflooded nazdar white. They waited 3 days before packing, when i got it i could still put a fingerprint in it grabbing, and edges wouldn't tack well to the stuff till it had a good week to harden up.
Doug
Toddh77

Post by Toddh77 »

did you have any issues with the backflooded Nazdar bonding with the topsheet after the skis were finished? I've tried backflooding with Nazdar ADE and Snowboard catalyst, and it hasn't bonded well to the Duraclear tpu topsheets. The topsheets were corona treated, and I also tried re-flaming without success. It's fine if I'm just putting a logo on the ski, but when I back flood, I can peel it off fairly easily. Because of this, I've switched to ISOsport Nylon and just having Miller Studio sublimate. I'd like to have the option of screening my own skis if I can find a way to back flood and get a good bond.