Anyone know of a CNC Router In Denver

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rsotak

Anyone know of a CNC Router In Denver

Post by rsotak »

Looking to CNC profile the cores of my skis. Anyone know of someone that can do 190cm core length in the denver front range area?
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

most likely a few people for sure.
I had a run done by Donek. But it was a 60 core order. If you get only a few done you're gonna pay a hefty price.
Doug
Boulderski

cnc router in Denver

Post by Boulderski »

There is a place called Club Workshop - I believe in denver that allows you to rent space on their cnc router ... its 4 by 8 I believe so plenty big for cutting ski cores or even base material... I live in Boulder and was looking for a router myself and came across this. I may go down this route but I would like to find something more local where I can spend a lot of time figuring out the cnc router as its new to me.
rsotak

Post by rsotak »

Thanks for heads-up on clubworkshop. I'm actually think I'm going to get a punch card or a 3 mon th membership and make a bunch of thickness profiled bamboo blanks. That way I can change the sidecut/widths at home with my normal template and router. Let me know if you want to do any cost sharing on this
Boulderski

cnc - boulder

Post by Boulderski »

Hey thanks - I am actually attempting to build a cnc router in boulder right now... To be honest I don't have any background with cnc router but been lucky enough to find some guys to help me out with the project in boulder. Hoping to have it built in the next 2 months. Im doing a variation of the CNC router parts kit but building it 2X8 and mounting on top of my ski press.
Its been a daunting build so far - Il post up some pics in vid when I get to the end of the build.
So I don't think I will be getting a membership there but I am still planing to visit the club workshop facility to check things out - I may even try and take a few classes there - that laser etcher or whatever it is looks pretty bad ass.
frare bear

Post by frare bear »

Props for building your own CNC router... I almost dove into that, but now am super thankful I avoided it.

I have a hobby CNC router that someone else built, and I recently purchased. It's 2'x3' cutting area so for now it can only profile half at a time, but I plan on extending it to be 2'x6' soon.

I live in Golden, and I'd be willing to try and help people out. I only got it working about a week ago, but as I get it running %100 I'll be profiling some cores of my own.
rsotak

Post by rsotak »

Sweet, give me a yell at rsotak@hotmail.com and maybe we can set something up.
knightsofnii

Re: cnc - boulder

Post by knightsofnii »

Boulderski wrote:Hey thanks - I am actually attempting to build a cnc router in boulder right now... To be honest I don't have any background with cnc router but been lucky enough to find some guys to help me out with the project in boulder. Hoping to have it built in the next 2 months. Im doing a variation of the CNC router parts kit but building it 2X8 and mounting on top of my ski press.
Its been a daunting build so far - Il post up some pics in vid when I get to the end of the build.
So I don't think I will be getting a membership there but I am still planing to visit the club workshop facility to check things out - I may even try and take a few classes there - that laser etcher or whatever it is looks pretty bad ass.
how on earth are you going to mount this on your ski press?
Just wondering, sounds perplexing.

I have a 2x8 from cncrp with the ballscrew/v-groove z axis. So far so good, it's a long road but they're great with support.
Doug
goneskiing

Post by goneskiing »

hey guys, i live out in golden and just signed up at the club workshop last week. i haven't had a chance to use the cnc there yet but for the cost ($99/month) it probably works out to be the same cost, if not cheaper than paying somebody else to do the work for you, plus you have access to all the other machining in the warehouse. you just take a 4 hour class with them and they show you how the computer program works and you take it from there. it seems like you could have plenty of days where you wait around for somebody else to finish up their project, but hey, its there!
frare bear

Post by frare bear »

goneskiing wrote:hey guys, i live out in golden and just signed up at the club workshop last week. i haven't had a chance to use the cnc there yet but for the cost ($99/month) it probably works out to be the same cost, if not cheaper than paying somebody else to do the work for you, plus you have access to all the other machining in the warehouse. you just take a 4 hour class with them and they show you how the computer program works and you take it from there. it seems like you could have plenty of days where you wait around for somebody else to finish up their project, but hey, its there!
How had I not heard of this before?? I gotta sign up. Awesome idea!
Acka

Anyone know of a CNC Router in Denver

Post by Acka »

I don't have a CNC setup, but I DO have a profiling table setup to do 190cm cores in Wheat Ridge, CO.

I have a 9mm delta from lead tip to mount and back to rear tip. (I am making 3mm-12mm-3mm cores, but with the same profile table you could make 2-11-2 or 4-13-4).

I can send you the exact lengths over which the transitions occur if you are interested. I've been really happy with the quality this table is producing. Let me know if you're interested.