bamboo lumber supplier

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

hegan

Post by hegan »

Dtrain wrote:The flooring works fine. Get it. Or drop cash and get 4x8 sheets of the vertical grain . Teregan, smith and mong. Etc, etc. unless you buyin a few cubic meters directly from china. It's not cheap. 100 bucks for a box of flooring. 3 sets pow skis, or like 150-200 for a 4x8 sheet of the same stuff. Simple google searches, will find dealers in your area. The minute the 4x& sheets are sold as smaller pieces, I.E. Windsor plywood, the price goes up.
I found a store that sells signal planks of flooring for around 2.50 a plank I might go pick them up this week.
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

Here is a good source for suitable vertical natural bamboo flooring planks:

http://www.amazon.com/Boedika-9-55135-7 ... B00BD2ZH98

Costs about $8.41 per ski.

I use this material and achieve great results. After ripping off the tongue and groove features I add a piece of poplar to each side to make it wide enough for my ski design. Then I shape the side cut radius and add my sidewall blocks (Ipe wood or similar).

Cheers,
S
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

look for distributors of teragren near you.
they have vertical lam solid stock, i cant remember the exact name of it, but its available in natural or caramelized.

I've been using this since.....since....since... since i built Tom Sims his first board ;)

a 4' x 8' sheet (grains go along the 4' direction i believe) runs $99-130 depending on where you get it from etc.

I cant remember how many sidewalls you can get out of a sheet, that's up to you and your woodworking skills ... I think I had it calculated down to about $1.00 per sidewall. One 10" wide x 4' length piece got me 12-14 sidewall pieces.
Doug
loganimlach

Post by loganimlach »

http://nwbamboo.com/

i just bought from them about a month ago, comes out to about $18.75 a ski (ugh) but it's the best I could find locally. his stock is dwindling though, I had to buy 1-1/6" stair tread and rip it.
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

I have also used Northwest Bamboo. They sell unfinished vert lam stair risers at 6 foot X 7 1/4" x 3/4". It's the shipping that gets you most of the time.