Resin Dye

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mattman

Resin Dye

Post by mattman »

Anyone use any craft store dyes in order to dye their resin. I want to make my clear resin black. I have graphite powder which I could use, but if it is used for every layer, I am not sure how the graphite will effect the lamination strength. So I thought maybe black fabric dye would work...basically I dont want to pay for the shipping of just a small bottle of Resin Dye. What do people use as successful alternatives?
hafte

Post by hafte »

Mattman, I have been using a product from JRsweet. I have black and white. The folks at JRsweet didn’t know what the stuff is, but I suspect that it is regular old paint pigment like you would find at home depot or any paint store. The can says not to use more than 2% in the mix. The stuff I have is not very opaque and needs several layers to cover or be used when the fabric is wetout. I have also found that a little bit of colloidal silica helps with opacity. I have been tempted to go down and get some colors from HD and see if they would cure in the epoxy.

One thing to consider if you go to use a dye is make sure it is not water based. I know the hardeners I use are water soluble and water based pigments could effect the cure negatively. Maybe find an alcohol based dye and test first. The water based thing may not be as big an issue when the two parts are mixed and the pigment is used in very small amounts.

I guess its time for a test. HD is on the way home I’ll see if I can remember to stop and get a sample of the paint pigment to test. I would like to know also.

Hafte
hafte

Post by hafte »

OK, I finally made it to HD and picked up a bit of red paint pigment. I mixed up a ¼ oz. batch of epoxy and added several drops of red pigment after the epoxy was mixed. I did not change the weight of the mix by more than .01 of an oz. with the addition of the pigment. In other words my scale that reads to .01 of an oz did not register the addition.

I wet out a scrap of 22 oz. glass and poured some out on a piece of plastic around 6:30 pm last night. The temp in the basement was at ~60 F. and dropping. I checked it this morning and the fabric was still pliable and so are the drips on the plastic. I picked up the pieces and the pigment is completely encapsulated. Nothing came off on my fingers. It seems to have wet out the glass just fine.

I noted that when the pigment was dripped into the mixing cup that it acted/spread out different than the black pigment I bought for epoxy. I think the base for the HD pigment is water and may have affected the cure of the epoxy or it could be related to the dropping temps in the room. I’ll check again this afternoon and see if the pieces are harder than this morning. I think the stuff I buy for epoxy is oil based. It never seems to dry out. I find black on me almost every time I pick that can of pigment up no matter how long it has been sitting.

At this point I would very hesitant to use the HD pigment for a project even if the parts I have now cure hard. I’m just not willing to risk a set of parts for a ski to find out. I think I’ll stick to the stuff I get from JR sweet or fiberglasssupply.

Hafte