RightSideways Ski Testing page

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rightsideways

RightSideways Ski Testing page

Post by rightsideways »

pair 6: the "visible core" skis test.

I haven't posted the progress of these skis to my journal page, but, I made a pair of tip/tail rockered skis about a week ago, with no topsheet, and a clear base. I decided to test them in the backcountry and skinned up Mt. Moosilauke, a 4800 foot mountain in New Hampshire. The conditions were pretty classic new england: dust on bulletproof for about 2/3 of the trail, and dust on 1/8" crust on powder on either side of the trail. You can hear how awesome the conditions up top were, on the video.

here's the link to the video: http://vimeo.com/88118342. this was also my first outing with the GoPro. I think it's pretty fun to relive the trip.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Strange, I don;t see my previous post or any other except the original post from Rightsideways...

Anyway. Nice video, narrow trails! Is that in NH?
rightsideways

Post by rightsideways »

skidesmond wrote:Strange, I don;t see my previous post or any other except the original post from Rightsideways...

Anyway. Nice video, narrow trails! Is that in NH?
that is weird. Thanks! it was NH. That's Mt. Moosilauke, which is in Warren, NH. The land is owned by Dartmouth College, and the Appilachian Trail goes over the top. The trail I went down was the Carriage Road. it usually sees a fair share of skiers on a weekend, but, the conditions were pretty much bulletproof so people didn't venture up there. The tracks you can see on the way down were mine from the skin up. There were a bunch of snowshoers going for the summit on different trails though.

here are some more pics of the skis:

an ok pic of the mounted skis

close up of the million inserts (NTN freeride + Fritschi Freeride)

I really like the shape a lot. I'm psyched because I get to try out a few pairs, in a few weeks, in Breckenridge + A Basin Colorado. Snow should be a bit fluffier there...
sammer

Post by sammer »

There was another post here yesterday as well. Can't remember who but talked about the vertigo feeling of the video.

That was a pretty narrow ski out.

No sidewalls? Just core edge to edge?

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
rightsideways

Post by rightsideways »

sammer wrote:There was another post here yesterday as well. Can't remember who but talked about the vertigo feeling of the video.

sam
ha, yeah I think i had the gopro pointing down too far, I definitely got a bit of vertigo watching the bit at the top. New England BC trail skiing is always pretty narrow.

the skis were core from edge to edge. the core material pattern was: poplar,poplar,oak,poplar,oak,poplar,poplar so the "sidewall" was consistently poplar. The next pair of clear topsheet skis will have a wood sidewall and i'm thinking a combination of ash or basswood and cherry (i have a few nice pieces of 5/4 S4S cherry) would look nice.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

sammer wrote:There was another post here yesterday as well. Can't remember who but talked about the vertigo feeling of the video.

sam
that was me.
rightsideways

Post by rightsideways »

skimann20 wrote: that was me.
haha, hopefully you were sitting down! :)