Cellulose Acetate for Topsheet

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Orion

Cellulose Acetate for Topsheet

Post by Orion »

I stopped by the Boeing Surplus Store today and got a ton of clear cellulose acetate sheet for cheap. It is pretty thin (~ 0.5-1mm), very clear, and kinda feels like a slightly softer polycarbonate. My initial search on the web makes me hopeful that epoxy will bond to the stuff. We'll see, if I have time I will do some test coupons tonight. Does anyone have any info/experience regarding this stuff?

I also saw, but did not buy, quite a bit of prepreg carbon fiber fabric scraps - interesting or junk???

Orion
Orion

Post by Orion »

OK,

The first round of test coupons didn't bond so well. I did three coupons of Acetate on wood. One cleaned but no abrasion and the other two sanded with a fine or coarse grit paper. I was able to peel off all three, but the abraded sheets did bond better - oh well.

I'll probably try a few more things and see if they work.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Orion:

good effort. let us know if you think it'll work...
Orion

Post by Orion »

I was finally able to get a couple of my test coupons to bond pretty well by using a belt sander with very coarse stripping paper.

Since I've got a ton of it I went ahead and used it as my topsheet for my first skis. I may not have sanded enough on my topsheet and I'm afraid that top-sheet delamination is coming not too far in the future. On the plus side, it looks nice for now - very clear and glossy.

I will post some pictures and a report of my first skis when after I get my ten posts in.
skimboards.ca

Post by skimboards.ca »

try using uni-bond 800